Calaway Park

www.calawaypark.com
  www.calawaypark.com
There are newer employer reviews for Calaway Park

it was tough work but a fun summer job

Former Employee - Ride Operator
Former Employee - Ride Operator

I worked at Calaway Park

Pros

-good pay
-friendly managers
-interacting with other people
-employee events

Cons

work in all weather
ok recognition for hard work
bag checks

12 Other Employee Reviews for Calaway Park (View Most Recent)

Rides department

I worked at Calaway Park part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-long shifts
    -discounts
    - great atmosphere
    -school credit
    -employee events
    I had a lot of fun working at calaway and I made some great friends there

Cons

The buses can take a while to get to your stop
    Its a seasonal job, starts in may and ends in October.

A great way to exploit kids, PARENTS BEWARE!

Former Employee - Rides Operator in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Rides Operator in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Calaway Park full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people
    Fun environment with coworkers
    Great Employee Events!!!
    (basically the social atmosphere with fellow employees was amazing)

Cons

- Long hours
    - Short breaks
    - Low pay
    - No water for hours (standing in the sun forever)
    - Dehydration and exhaustion
    - Poor management skills, everything was always disorganized.

Stop playing favourites and be more consistent with your behaviour. If you are 'different' (LGBT or an ethnic person) do not expect to get a raise or promotion. You do not fit the 'mold' they are looking for.

Favourites of leadership and management would always get easier rides to work at that have less workload, easier loading, usually working with a partner (another favourite) while other like myself would be stuck at the same busy rides (either by myself or with an incompetent partner). Near the end of the season we were understaffed and we were overworked. Also please fix the maintenance of the rides, we the ride operators get screamed at by the guests and get blamed because you guys fail to up keep the rides.

Your needs weren't ever heard and they just see you as a 'worker'. They would rarely come around to give us water during the summer (when it was 30 degrees and higher) and we weren't allowed to leave our ride to get water. Working in the hot sun while dealing with frustrated guests really took a lot of patience while the leadership just stayed inside their AIR CONDITIONED OFFICE WITH WATER and complain about how they are so busy, when for 80% of the day they would be missing.

Also even if you call in sick once they overreact and get extremely mad at you when they overwork 15 - 17 year olds! You have to stand for hours and you get reprimanded for sitting down ... even if no one is at your ride. Also while there was free employee busing, the busing times were out of sync with the shifts, so you would have to come an hour early to your shift and wait around to work. Also the payroll is based on 15 minutes so they would try to get you to leave early by a few minutes to make you lose pay. (if you check out at 6:59 and your shift ends at 7:00, you would only get paided up until 6:45). Many of the rides had lots of safety hazards that we had to learn to work around (keys would fall out of the power control, rides would break down randomly, restraints and seatbelts would be rusty and outdated).

I feel like the management do not know how to properly run a business and just act accordingly to how they feel. They need to attend workshops and seminars on how to treat their employees with respect and how to run a business ethically and legally. You may think that roaches in the kitchens and mice falling in the water rides would be a lie but for us it was a common thing in a days work.

If you have pride and love yourself, do not work here and try to find a job where you are respected as a human being!

There are newer employer reviews for Calaway Park