Calendar Holdings

There are newer employer reviews for Calendar Holdings

I would do it again

Former Employee - Franchise Holder in Elyria, OH
Former Employee - Franchise Holder in Elyria, OH

I worked at Calendar Holdings full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I learned about the retail model really fast. There is also the ability to fail, went into the franchise without the idea that I would be spoon fed. That said, the franchise receives a POS, signage and all of the stock, everything to start, with the franchise.

Cons

There will be some hidden costs, that you will have to absorb. Electricity, Phone, Insurance, Permits, Inspections... employees not coming in to open the store. This is best run by a family and not strangers.

I would suggest themed product lines to offer independent video game stores. Nintendo, Disney, figures and toys to go with the video games and help them fill out their store. You can even consign them, and they will gladly help in order to fill their store with appealing products.

5 Other Employee Reviews for Calendar Holdings (View Most Recent)

Innovative and progressive? No. Old school and micromanaged? Yes.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Calendar Holdings full-time (more than a year)

Pros

First, the other reviews are from folks who work in the stores. I worked in the home office in Austin. If I have to think of a pro, it's that you probably won't get fired. There are people who couldn't get a job any place else, but have been at Calendar Holdings for 10+ years. Also, there are free giveaways of calendars, games, puzzles and books. That's kinda cool.

Cons

Someone recently asked me about all the openings and I kept repeating, "you don't want to work there." Nice, upbeat people get beat down until they leave. Only the mean, crabby people stay. It's a very negative atmosphere where someone is always looking over your shoulder and complaining about you or someone else.

There are lots of people who work hard, but at the end of the day, it seems like you're working harder, not smarter, as you don't have the tools and/or resources.

First of all, quit micromanaging. Trust your folks to make decisions. That's why you hired them. There's no reason why a CEO should have to approve all 1,000 store leases, especially when you have a VP of real estate. Second, get rid of seasonal hours. Your folks are already working 40+ hours off season, don't add to it. People shouldn't have to stay late, without extra pay, just because it's season. Third, bring back the fun, like CalOlympics and fun days. You beat us down and then take away the stuff that keeps us motivated. Sigh.

Don't let the cool factor fool you.

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Calendar Holdings part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company culture is cool. There's some really cool stores that Calendar Holdings owns in the Pacific Northwest. Being able to have your own style and be true to yourself is an awesome aspect.

Cons

The pay is not livable even as a supervisor, assistant manager, or store manager. Even with nearly a decade of experience, they will try to pay you less than 10.00 an hour with .20 yearly increases (if your review goes well). It's heartbreaking, especially for the employees that truly love the company but ultimately feel like a nothing. Corporate doesn't acknowledge or thank it's employees for going above and beyond, instead of they insist on cutting hours to the point of only having two people run their stores per day. No ability to take lunch or regular breaks.

You have to give a little to get a little. Acknowledge and reward the people who'd practically break their back to keep working for you. Give them a livable wage. Come work in the stores and run them to the impossible standards you create. Employees who have been here for years are suddenly leaving or having to find second and third jobs. Invest in giving your employees better wages, benefits, and hours, and see how much passion will refill the heart of the company. Also: TRAINING. Get on board with training manuals and expectations, so people feel like they know what they are doing.

There are newer employer reviews for Calendar Holdings