California Academy of Sciences

www.calacademy.org
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for California Academy of Sciences

Great job while you're attending school, great people, great location.

Former Employee - Guest Services Host in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Guest Services Host in San Francisco, CA

I worked at California Academy of Sciences part-time (more than a year)

Pros

As a Guest Services host, it was a cool job that kept you rotating throughout the museum. Great for people watching, learning about different animals, theories, and NightLife was a blast. Loved that they accommodated my crazy school schedule.

Cons

Managing was a bit slack; if you asked for a lot of time off they took you off the schedule. Sometimes management didn't talk to each other and you would get scheduled Wed 4pm-12am, and then Thurs 8am-5pm. Boo!

Advice to Management

Don't pick favorites, it's obvious. Talk to each other and don't screw up the schedules!

reviews filtered by

Awesome Job!

Current Employee - Guest Services Host in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Guest Services Host in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at California Academy of Sciences part-time (more than a year)

Pros

One of the best parts about working at the Academy, was the fact that I loved everyone I worked with! All of the employees are happy and smiling, and always say hi to someone passing them in the hall.

Most of the people that came to visit the Academy are there because they want to have fun and learn something cool, so it was really nice to help guests plan and make the most of their visit. If you love kids, this is also a great place to work on the floor, because they are the bulk of visitors.

There is also a strong network of support for employees, including training and making you feel that you are making a difference in the guest experience of the people that visit the museum.

Cons

Cons of Guest Services to me, were working repetitive positions; ie doing the same thing all day long. It also gets a little boring standing in one place the whole day, on a slow day, but I guess some people would like it, because it's not necessarily difficult work.

2. Great

Former Intern - Graphic Design Intern
    Former Intern - Graphic Design Intern

I worked at California Academy of Sciences as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely GREAT coworkers, and it was so hie to be able to walk around the museum when you wanted a break from your desk. I learned a ton from my internship here.

Cons

6 month cap on graphic design internships - it's a sought-after position I guess!

There are newer employer reviews for California Academy of Sciences