California Casualty

Management Needs Improvement

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster
Current Employee - Claims Adjuster

I have been working at California Casualty

Pros

Casual work environment
Ethical procedures
Able to work half days and be paid for full if you are sick

Cons

Poor management
Favoritisim
Lack of leadership
Expectations are unrealistic
Lack of written policy and procedure, they seem to make it up as they go at times. Very confusing.
Poor benefits

Please listen to your employees, they are the ones doing the job, and they just might know what they are talking about.
Just because someone is in a management position does not give them the right to berate and harass employees. Please put an end to this and hire mangagers who can lead and motivate the employees. As well as managers who can answer the questions asked.
If you have happy employees you will have a happy employer.

44 Other Employee Reviews for California Casualty (View Most Recent)

Claims Adjuster

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at California Casualty full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a small atmosphere so not like a busy call center. You have time to work your claims. Unlike other companies, the call volumes and the workload is manageable. Even with their change to an all day queue system, I actually can't wait to be able to make my calls and do my work when I need to! There's other opportunities to grow as a claims adjuster here since you handle auto, injury and property claims. The variety makes the day go by fast. I actually have a great manager who knows her stuff. The other employees have been here a long time, so they've done their time and they have awesome experiences and knowledge. Sure, I've heard them talk about me, too, but once I've mastered their systems and handled the claims in a consistent way, I'm sure that will stop. Don't let it get to you. It's just a job and there's plenty of work to focus on. Time off is hard to get when competing with high seniority, but that comes with any company that someone is new to. Some of the employees have their kids stay with them at their desk, so this is a company that understands when parents are in a bind with daycare, etc. ~ you don't find that at other companies! The customers can be difficult, but this is an industry where people are upset and not always happy with your decision. As for the older customers, I find them a delight to talk with and they are the first ones to make me feel good about what I do for them. Also, the pay is great! Maybe not the benefits, but then, in today's work environment, what company is delivering awesome benefits anymore? This is a great change for someone who has done claims at other companies. You can bring your experience and build on it, once you get past their systems. If you're new, I would think this is a great place to learn, too. Every new adjuster struggled and felt overwhelmed their first 2 years. If you can get past that and focus on the work, you'll actually find some enjoyment in it.

Cons

Systems are outdated and hard to maneuver through. My only concern is it affects my body. Lots of repeat steps to accomplish something and it's taking its toll on the hands and arms. It's a small company so they don't have the means to improve their systems right now, but it does sound like an excuse when they say that every time. As employees, we don't like excuses any more than leaders like to hear them from their workers. At least acknowledge it and get a plan in place to work on or solve the problem in the future (even if it is a 2-5 year plan). Otherwise, you (the leaders) run the risk of being considered "part of the problem". I do miss having a company that supports getting your AIC or CPCU or SCLA. Wish there was some sort of incentive to pursue this, even if it was "performance based". Just like seniority earns you the pick of time off, I wish my performance would allow me the "pick" of classes the company would sponsor.

Just a plan for improving the systems.

California Casualty Response

Jan 21, 2015Vice President - Employee Relations

We appreciate the contributions that you make on behalf of our Company as a Claims Adjuster. It is employees like you, that are focused on doing the right thing for our customers, that makes us ... More

Proven to not be your typical call center - time and time again!!!

Current Employee - Customer Service Team Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Team Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at California Casualty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance is a hot topic now amongst the workforce. This is just one of the advantages of working for Cal Cas. The work week is 37.5 hours and we are closed most major Holidays. There are lots of tenured employees; the average tenure of a customer service representative is a little over 15 years. To some, this may be seen as a limit of growth opportunity. However, as long as you have a solid development plan in place and a good foundation; when an opportunity becomes available you can secure it as long as you don't let it pass you by. There is truly a family atmosphere amongst everyone; we all care for one another on a professional and personal level! Our customer base is also one built amongst professionals so that leads to a better customer experience for all!

If you are looking for a positive, significant & rewarding change in your career life - then check out Cal Cas! This will be the best decision of your professional path and growth!

Cons

I do not have any!

Let's open an office on the East Coast!!!

California Casualty Response

Oct 29, 2014Executive Vice President Sales, Marketing & Service

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a complimentary review of California Casualty! We appreciate you and value our employees as much as our customers, so it’s nice to hear that you ... More

There are newer employer reviews for California Casualty