California Casualty

Management Needs Improvement

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster
Current Employee - Claims Adjuster

I have been working at California Casualty

Pros

Casual work environment
Ethical procedures
Able to work half days and be paid for full if you are sick

Cons

Poor management
Favoritisim
Lack of leadership
Expectations are unrealistic
Lack of written policy and procedure, they seem to make it up as they go at times. Very confusing.
Poor benefits

Please listen to your employees, they are the ones doing the job, and they just might know what they are talking about.
Just because someone is in a management position does not give them the right to berate and harass employees. Please put an end to this and hire mangagers who can lead and motivate the employees. As well as managers who can answer the questions asked.
If you have happy employees you will have a happy employer.

44 Other Employee Reviews for California Casualty (View Most Recent)

Claims Adjuster

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at California Casualty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a small atmosphere so not like a busy call center. You have time to work your claims. Unlike other companies, the call volumes and the workload is manageable. Even with their change to an all day queue system, I actually can't wait to be able to make my calls and do my work when I need to! There's other opportunities to grow as a claims adjuster here since you handle auto, injury and property claims. The variety makes the day go by fast. I actually have a great manager who knows her stuff. The other employees have been here a long time, so they've done their time and they have awesome experiences and knowledge. Sure, I've heard them talk about me, too, but once I've mastered their systems and handled the claims in a consistent way, I'm sure that will stop. Don't let it get to you. It's just a job and there's plenty of work to focus on. Time off is hard to get when competing with high seniority, but that comes with any company that someone is new to. Some of the employees have their kids stay with them at their desk, so this is a company that understands when parents are in a bind with daycare, etc. ~ you don't find that at other companies! The customers can be difficult, but this is an industry where people are upset and not always happy with your decision. As for the older customers, I find them a delight to talk with and they are the first ones to make me feel good about what I do for them. Also, the pay is great! Maybe not the benefits, but then, in today's work environment, what company is delivering awesome benefits anymore? This is a great change for someone who has done claims at other companies. You can bring your experience and build on it, once you get past their systems. If you're new, I would think this is a great place to learn, too. Every new adjuster struggled and felt overwhelmed their first 2 years. If you can get past that and focus on the work, you'll actually find some enjoyment in it.

Cons

Systems are outdated and hard to maneuver through. My only concern is it affects my body. Lots of repeat steps to accomplish something and it's taking its toll on the hands and arms. It's a small company so they don't have the means to improve their systems right now, but it does sound like an excuse when they say that every time. As employees, we don't like excuses any more than leaders like to hear them from their workers. At least acknowledge it and get a plan in place to work on or solve the problem in the future (even if it is a 2-5 year plan). Otherwise, you (the leaders) run the risk of being considered "part of the problem". I do miss having a company that supports getting your AIC or CPCU or SCLA. Wish there was some sort of incentive to pursue this, even if it was "performance based". Just like seniority earns you the pick of time off, I wish my performance would allow me the "pick" of classes the company would sponsor.

Just a plan for improving the systems.

Good Company to work for

I worked at California Casualty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice Benefits, Management is fair. Allows you to work autonomously.

Cons

Cannot think outside the box. Goals can sometimes be unattainable.

California Casualty Response

Nov 13, 2014Vice President - Employee Relations

We appreciate your comments to recognize the benefits that we offer in our organization. This is an area that we see as important to remain competitive and meet our employees’ needs. Your comment ... More

There are newer employer reviews for California Casualty