There are newer employer reviews for California Family Health Council

Recommended

I worked at California Family Health Council

Pros

CFHC is a very friendly place to work, with an excellent team atmosphere.

Cons

There were problems with the CFO, but I think that there is a new team in place.

CFHC is a great place to work, but it lost some of the focus on listening to employees and learning from them.

6 Other Employee Reviews for California Family Health Council (View Most Recent)

Great staff hampered by very poor leadership

I worked at California Family Health Council full-time

Pros

The "old guard" is exceedingly knowledgeable and has a lot to give. If you're interested in reproductive health policy, this is an important organization.

Cons

Toxic, angry senior leadership that is unfocused and unallied with staff. Things get done through fear motivation rather than inspiration. Lots of needless gossip, drama and backstabbing, even to the point of sabotaging people. Poor competency with general operations.

Pick a strategy and stick with it and let your people work. People work best when they are motivated, not in fear of losing their job or displeasing their manager.

I worked at California Family Health Council for 2 years.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at California Family Health Council (more than an year)

Pros

This organization has an amazing staff that is really trying to make a difference and advance its mission. The staff is highly knowledgeable but sadly, the leadership fails to acknowledge, recognize and capitalize on their staff's knowledge. Beware of this before walking into a hyped-up position.

Cons

The working culture at CFHC is absolutely horrendous thanks to the toxic environment the senior leadership create. In my department, my supervisor didn't seem to not know how to say 'no' to the CEO. So in that regard, whatever request came down from the top, however unreasonable it was, that became the number one priority. Don't expect any sort of consistency. Priorities and tasks were often shifted immediately and the turn-around for tasks was extremely quick, making you wonder how these decisions were made. Often times things are assigned and then scrapped at the last minute which creates wasted energy and pointless work. If you try asking questions about strategy, expect to be made to feel inappropriate or dumb. This created an extremely uncomfortable and awkward space that prevented staff from speaking up and standing up for themselves especially when they were feeling abused. Most of the time the leadership had no idea what went into accomplishing some of these projects and failed to appreciate the work you put in. Much of the work that is assigned is very top-down and directive, rather than collaborative. Additionally, most of focus is to enhance the image of the organization rather than to actually further the mission. Very little of the work that I did at CFHC is something that I look at proudly and say it made a difference. In fact, the work that did have meaning to me were the projects that my boss asked me to put on the back-burner leaving me to doubt her competency in her position. On a side note regarding lack of professionalism, my supervisor had a habit of feeling the need to gossip about partner organizations and colleagues in racially and culturally insensitive ways which obviously would lead a person to wonder what was said about you after leaving the room.Overall, I would recommend staying away from this place unless you don't have any good ideas and don't care. The positions tend to be hyped up with fancy buzzwords, but don't really mean anything in practice. Advancement and growth opportunities are minimal. Many of the staff that have worked there for a while talk about a time before the current CEO was in leadership as a positive place to work that was family-friendly, flexible and welcoming. Unfortunately, the current CEO has brought with her a toxic work environment that is reinforced by the leadership she has hired.

Let go of your egos. Take some leadership courses, management classes, or something. Listen to your staff. They are a lot more knowledgeable than you think. You don't always have the best ideas. Part of being a successful leader is recognizing the talent that is your staff.

There are newer employer reviews for California Family Health Council