It was a wonderful opportunity out of college.

Former Employee - Tax Auditor I  in  Irvine, CA
Former Employee - Tax Auditor I in Irvine, CA

I worked at California State Board of Equalization

Pros

The benefits for working for the state are hard to beat. The Board is very flexible and accommodating to your needs.

Cons

While the benefits are hard to beat, the general salary is not something to write home about. It can be difficult to ascend the ranks quickly.

I think it would beneficial to have greater opportunities to grow within the organization. Granted, it is a governmental agency which is that the whims of the taxpayers and the local government.

Other Reviews for California State Board of Equalization

My overall experience was very eye-opening to some favortism in a workplace. I enjoyed the positions I held.

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at California State Board of Equalization

Pros

Flexibility, additional training, encouragement for upward mobility, benefits package.

Cons

A number of promotions made unfairly, based on who you know - not necesarily, who is the best qualified candidate.

Fairness is a great policy

Stay clear from BOE Tax Auditor Position

Current Employee - Tax Auditor I  in  Norwalk, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Auditor I in Norwalk, CA

I have been working at California State Board of Equalization

Pros

Great work/life balance. You'll never work a minute past your 40 hour work-week. You are never asked to stay late or come in early; everyone treasures their free time. The environment is not cutthroat as it may be in public accounting firms or even private industries. Here, you are only expected to do your job well; you do not have to worry about your co-worker stabbing you in the back.

Cons

The pay is terrible; especially this year after the union negotiated a 7% decrease in pay (4% decrease in salary + 3% mandatory increase into your retirement fund). The morale is very low; there are very high levels of turnover. Everyone is running out the door for their first chance to get into Federal branches of accounting. Management expects a lot from its auditors while providing no technological means to completing the tasks as efficiently as they would like. Computer software system is antiquated, macro-enable workbooks have many bugs, and the overall availability of resources are limited. Coworkers are very bitter about being so invested in staying with the Board until they can fully vest their pensions; they do not want to help newer auditors nor do they want to get to know new faces.

Allow telecommunication days for auditors to work from home; this will increase efficiency and reduce overhead costs substantially.

There are newer employer reviews for California State Board of Equalization.

Worked for California State Board of Equalization? Contribute to the Community!