There are newer employer reviews for Calit2

Great experience for students!

Current Employee - Intern  in  San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Intern in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Calit2 as an intern for less than a year

Pros

So many resources and interesting labs, and hundreds of intelligent, driven people sitting in every desk around the building. Opportunities are endless, particularly if you are willing to work without pay (at least at first).

Cons

Difficult for students to find paid jobs. Paid jobs generally start in the $30/hr range if you can find one. A good route to take is to apply for the summer internship program, which is paid but exclusive.

7 Other Employee Reviews for Calit2 (View Most Recent)

Calit2 is a great place to research and develop innovation

Current Employee - Mechanical Lab Assistant  in  La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Lab Assistant in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at Calit2 as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Calit2 enables innovation by bringing in researchers with diverse backgrounds.

Cons

Most research labs feel a little disconnected from other research labs. Although there is great collaboration within each lab, I feel like further collaboration between separate research groups could be useful

Student Researcher and Designer

Current Employee - Staff Researcher  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Researcher in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Calit2 as an intern for less than a year

Pros

To begin I'd like to say that I work within and Calit2 and that my work is funded by them, but I do NOT work directly for the building.

Calit2 is an interesting and rewarding place to work in. The culture of the institution is one of integration, interdisciplinary collaboration, and spontaneous innovation. This makes it easy to network with incredibly talented and driven individuals from all departments and fields of study and get involved with cool projects and research from that point. The prospect for mobility is great, in a non traditional, informal kind of way.

There is also a lot of freedom and variety in working at Calit2. The person I work with is fairly laid back and has an informal space to use as office in the middle of an open lot on the 2nd floor. Other people, such as lab workers perhaps, have stricter schedules and working environments. In the end the it all depends on your team and your project. There are facilities for everything from design, to nano engineering, to digital fabrication, to 3D data visualization, to 4k movie production, to visual arts and communications. They even have a gallery for art shows in the building. All of those resources are at the disposal of the researchers if need be and can be part of the working environment.

Cons

Not enough sunshine on the bottom floors and the loose, non consolidated organization of the building can make it hard to find certain people and locations in a timely manner sometimes.

Can't really say much. Bring the CRCA back, they had great projects.

There are newer employer reviews for Calit2

Worked for Calit2? Contribute to the Community!