Caltech (California)

www.caltech.edu
  www.caltech.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Caltech (California)

I love it

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Pasadena, CA
Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Caltech (California) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Small college, top research, family environment, high professor to student ratio, affiliation with NASA-JPL, international students

Cons

No cons, studying here is a great experience and I love the research done by every group at Caltech

157 Other Employee Reviews for Caltech (California) (View Most Recent)

You'll probably not go out the way you went in!

Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Caltech (California) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Vacation, and matching retirement fund contributions. Awesome visiting speakers & guest lecturers. Good athletic facility for use by faculty, students & staff. I should have made more use of the lovely Atheneum faculty & staff club when I was there. The academic environment must be getting better if the poor stressed-to-the-max students have stopped snuffing themselves out.

Cons

Some departments are in need of facility & infrastructure maintenance and renovation. I experienced near constant environmental issues, i.e., noise, heat, and noxious smells, usually from points of origin outside my lab or office. My working space was heavily infested by vertebrate & invertebrate pests for some months in 2011-12. It took some time for facilities management to finally mount an effective response. If your supervisor is not effective at conflict resolution, there's not really any available venue of recourse. The Ombud's office was eliminated some years back. The culture in some research support entities can be very oppressive for staff. To get the best results from staff, concentrate on inspirado, and incentive, not disparagement & retribution.

An institution of this stature should be able to bring in some faculty of like stature that are able to acquire funding. There seems to be an outflow of talented people at this time, as well as a pervasive sense of dread in the air. The lack of shared optimism about upward mobility is conducive to a collectivized sense of malaise. If all the talent winds up down the road at UCLA, or USC, et al., will they eagerly come back for another arse-kicking when better times resume?

Coffeehouse: the best student job on campus

Former Employee - Coffeehouse Barista/Food Maker Extraordinaire in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Coffeehouse Barista/Food Maker Extraordinaire in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Caltech (California) part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free food and drinks (not that kind of drink) when you're on the job
    If it's a slow night you can get homework done during your shift

Cons

Every once in a while, you get stuck doing the dishes at the end of the night
    You have to deal with major ethical dilemmas when 18-year-old kids come in asking for six shots of espresso

There are newer employer reviews for Caltech (California)