There are newer employer reviews for Caltech (California)

Campus Security Officer

Former Employee - Campus Security Officer  in  Pasadena, CA
Former Employee - Campus Security Officer in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Caltech (California) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good place to work at.

Cons

None at this time. N/A

N/A

141 Other Employee Reviews for Caltech (California) (View Most Recent)

Wouldn't really work around my schedule

Former Employee - Programmer Intern  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Programmer Intern in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Caltech (California) as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It's a pretty relaxed place, and the people are nice. The area is also very beautiful. Food at lunch is also pretty good with several choices.

Cons

They kept assigning me tasks during Finals week even though I repeatedly asked for them to get the assignments to me earlier.

If you have students working for you, don't assign them tasks during Finals week and then get mad when they don't finish it early or make mistakes in their code.

You'll probably not go out the way you went in!

Former Employee - Staff Scientist  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Scientist in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Caltech (California) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Vacation, and matching retirement fund contributions. Awesome visiting speakers & guest lecturers. Good athletic facility for use by faculty, students & staff. I should have made more use of the lovely Atheneum faculty & staff club when I was there. The academic environment must be getting better if the poor stressed-to-the-max students have stopped snuffing themselves out.

Cons

Some departments are in need of facility & infrastructure maintenance and renovation. I experienced near constant environmental issues, i.e., noise, heat, and noxious smells, usually from points of origin outside my lab or office. My working space was heavily infested by vertebrate & invertebrate pests for some months in 2011-12. It took some time for facilities management to finally mount an effective response. If your supervisor is not effective at conflict resolution, there's not really any available venue of recourse. The Ombud's office was eliminated some years back. The culture in some research support entities can be very oppressive for staff. To get the best results from staff, concentrate on inspirado, and incentive, not disparagement & retribution.

An institution of this stature should be able to bring in some faculty of like stature that are able to acquire funding. There seems to be an outflow of talented people at this time, as well as a pervasive sense of dread in the air. The lack of shared optimism about upward mobility is conducive to a collectivized sense of malaise. If all the talent winds up down the road at UCLA, or USC, et al., will they eagerly come back for another arse-kicking when better times resume?

There are newer employer reviews for Caltech (California)

Worked for Caltech (California)? Contribute to the Community!