Caltech (California)

www.caltech.edu
  www.caltech.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Caltech (California)

Try to enjoy the journey

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Caltech (California) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The cultural focus is academic research and is geared to promote collaboration and sharing of resources. This is a significant attribute in allowing creative, inventive ideas to be tried out, whether it is using facilities or talking with other departments.

Cons

It's very research centered, and there are no humanities to balance out people. There is not much social cohesion or interaction, everyone is in their silo. It's also a very high pressure environment so most people are stressed, but that's about the norm in high caliber academics.

Promote more cross-departmental interaction. Support professors and research groups better through the lean years (especially during gov't dysfunction), for example, you should raise a rainy day fund.

156 Other Employee Reviews for Caltech (California) (View Most Recent)

graduate student

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Caltech (California) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great resource. Best science, great support from the advisor

Cons

I think this is the best place for research

A COOL PLACE TO WORK OR RELAX.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Caltech (California) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The campus has a very natural and peaceful environment. I liken it to a park with lots of trees, turtles, egrets, squirrels, and birds. It is open to the public, many of the neighbors come through jogging or walking their dog. The grounds are immaculate with a variety of flowers to create a beautiful positive place for creative mind.

Cons

Office politics can sometimes get in the way of progress which may actually be typical for most organizations. I guess in comparison to other places the hierarchy is pretty level compared to others places. Hence this may in some sense be an positive attribute rather than a con.

There are newer employer reviews for Caltech (California)