Cambia Health Solutions

www.cambiahealth.com
  www.cambiahealth.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cambia Health Solutions

Applicants/interns be very wary and do your HW...

Former Employee - Technology / Finance / Underwriting
Former Employee - Technology / Finance / Underwriting

I worked at Cambia Health Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pros are few and far between but here they are:
1) Highly intelligent people work here
2) Decent hours are the norm, and there is a good work/life balance with time off to play
3) Decent pay tends to be at lower-end of the market (although not for the level of experience within industry but across industries, e.g. a technology expert will be brought into an insurance role at a lower, but decent rate)
4) Benefits are good, but not great (other large regionals certainly offer more competitive benefits, as per prior my experience)
5) Lots of meetings – yeah, this is not really a good thing and more of a time suck, but management seems to think it’s a really good thing
6) There are some really nice people that work here, this is a shock, after all, it is insurance!

Cons

Where does one start? Well, for starters, Cambia / Regence…

1) Cheaps out by hiring people without prior experience into the roles. While highly competent people are brought in, and although knowledgeable in other fields, in many cases, they know less than nothing with respect to the roles they fill and lack specific industry expertise to make a meaningful impact that moves the needle quickly. This is a big problem with respect to departmental management, which is quite literally frequently learning on the job. Really people? “Get the right talent on the bus!”

2) Fosters an incredibly political environment, but this is expected of a large organization. However, this is also the case for the dynamic within many small groups. Add on top of that Cambia’s incapacity to take the good and shed the bad. Good ideas are what? Adopted? Shared? Considered? Well, yeah, considered and cut off, fast.

3) Places a big cultural emphasis on teamwork and leadership so clearly there have been major problems in these areas before. Fine, every organization goes through growing pains (even the big ones as they seek to remain large) so Cambia is dealing with its internal issues. Respectable, you think, right? However, before you “put the cart before the horse”, think about this, true leadership is more a regular practice, rather than a preaching. Our employees are not stupid, we see through the smoke and mirrors.

4) Regularly tolerates highly unprofessional communication among the ranks and senior/middle management are eager to not only swiftly dismiss but categorically deny the existence of this cancer, most glaringly, at the expense of negatively impacting teams. This, in my opinion, is the biggest problem, as it directly impacts employees’ pride in their work. And right there, Cambia can be accredited for breeding mediocrity. Although management says all the right things, they have demonstrated time and again there true support of an environment that encourages the wrong behaviors and actions. Case in point, there is a pervasive endemic, a lack of professionalism, real respect, and workplace courtesy afforded colleagues.

5) Seems to think that a revolving door policy is good for business. Several key senior executives have recently departed, some after, relatively short executive-length stints. Middle and lower management tends to be in flux as well. Junior personnel flies in and out quickly.

6) Makes big promises and really under-delivers. With respect to promises made to internal and external constituents, Cambia says one thing and does another. This is a major contributor of the mass exits and perhaps the main reason as to why we have lost our edge as the leading insurer in the OR market and are hurting in our other territories. As a non-for-profit, we say we care about the experience and cost of healthcare for our members. However, we really care about our bottom line and legacy more than anything else. At the end of the day, we're just another insurance company with the BCBS brand. And we all know how insurers make our buck.

Final words, true leadership and teamwork will never grow within this type of septic atmosphere. Our value to innovate will be a long and arduous road if creative ideas are expunged rather than embraced. People’s desire to do good, solid, honorable work must be met with more open arms and less resistance. We built a transparency vehicle for our members, so let’s apply it to our engine, before we lose course.

40 Other Employee Reviews for Cambia Health Solutions (View Most Recent)

Cambia Health Solutions, formerly The Regence Group is a reputable, values based, non-profit company that is growing!

I have been working at Cambia Health Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

The leaders of the company are authentic, driven, bright and passionate about what they do. They act with a great deal of integrity which is refreshing.

Cons

Because the company serves 4 states, sometimes teams are slow to get on the same page.

Keep on being transparent -- you will continue to foster respect and trust from your employees. WIth the new growth & diversification we are much stronger than our competitors...that's why top people want to work here.

In transition

I have been working at Cambia Health Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent work/life balance. Big intellectual challenges to solve. Change is constant and can be very energizing. Some parts of the organization are structured to work through change and many others are not yet ready for the changes that need to be made nor how often they will need to be made. Significant changes need to be created, embraced and driven from the top down for this company to be successful.

Cons

Very political. Decisions are not made based on facts and what is best course of action but rather based on politics. Male-driven culture. Lack of respect for lower-levels within organization. Unprofessional communication goes unnoticed even when negatively impacting teams.

Commit to a real vision and a concrete strategy. Even in uncertain times for healthcare, know who you are and sell what makes you strong. Make the key decisions and lead.

There are newer employer reviews for Cambia Health Solutions

Worked for Cambia Health Solutions? Contribute to the Community!