Cambridge Associates, LLC

www.cambridgeassociates.com
Engaged Employer
There are newer employer reviews for Cambridge Associates, LLC

Excellent first job that opens doors for a strong future in finance.

Current Employee - Consulting Associate in Menlo Park, CA
Current Employee - Consulting Associate in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC

Pros

Excellent exposure to multiple asset classes. You get to work with extremely intelligent and knowledgeable people. Reasonable hours and a good work/life balance. Good benefits and vacation, and management is very reasonable about letting people take vacation. They also try to make sure to stay informed about employee morale.

Cons

Lack of ability to be promoted beyond a certain level without a masters degree. Very low pay relative to the rest of the finance industry. The work can be very cyclical, so there are times when there is very little to do and other times when there is way too much to do.

Advice to Management

None

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Performance Reporting Associate review

Current Employee - Investment Performance Analyst in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Investment Performance Analyst in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The culture here is very vibrant, young and collegial, possibly because this is an entry level position and thus we primarily hire fresh graduates. When I first read up reviews about the firm, I thought the term "collegial culture" was simply a buzzword, but over the 2 years that I have been here, I can say I have truly immersed and experienced the culture of collegiality and strong emphasis on team work. - Flexibility and autonomy: Management here gives employees a lot of flexibility and autonomy to handle day to day operations. I am thankful that I do not have my boss breathing down my neck everyday! - Growth: There is a lot of room for growth and career development, especially given that I have joined as a fresh grad. Once again, management provides a lot of autonomy and gives us a lot of room to spearhead projects that we are interested in, as long as we have proven capable. - Emphasis on the individual driving your career development, with the support of management.

Cons

- Pay and benefits could be higher and more attractive. - There seems to be a career ceiling in the role once you have hit Senior Analyst (~3-4 years), especially if managerial positions do not open up.

Manager Information Group

Former Employee - Investment Operations - MIG in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Investment Operations - MIG in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Cambridge Associates, LLC full-time

Pros

As with other mid/back office roles, your job is to please everyone. The good thing in CA is that when you make a mistake, the management team tends to be very forgiving. The environment is encouraging and friendly (save for some competitive few who want to be part of the management team) - your strengths are appreciated and they will try to help you develop your weaknesses. Good for people who are interested to strive for designations such as CFA, CAIA, CIPM etc. as the company pays for those and you will have plenty of time to study. You will learn mainly soft skills (multi-tasking, communication etc.) and not technical skills - you do get some asset classes overview, strategies but they are extremely generic and nothing that you can ever apply in other firms. Hence, it is a good first step into the industry but my advise is to leave after a year or else you will get stuck.

Cons

There is really very limited things you can learn, and very minimal that is applicable out of the firm unless you are interested in investor relations. When you move on to taking on management positions, your task is more focused on people development i.e. have check ins with members of the team to ensure that everyone is doing fine, write extremely detailed reviews for your team, interviewing of candidates (you will spend hours a week doing so), develop excel trackers to ensure that everyone is doing their work etc. basically, you lose touch with learning any technical skills that will enable you to move on to other roles unless you are looking to go into HR. Culture is very sheltered, which is good for risk averse individuals who appreciate guidance, but is nothing like the "outside world". I felt like I was in school as we were highly encouraged to take part in auxiliary teams/ book clubs/ toast masters. The ability to talk will bring you far. People who are PC can survive well - if you don't believe it, fake it till you make it because that's the key to survival and doing well here.

Advice to Management

Hire externally so that there will be more creativity. Everyone thinks alike and are extremely risk averse. Be truly open to ideas - not just claim that you are. Management loves to say that all ideas are good ideas and claim that they will consider them but you will soon realise that they don't, they just give you the impression that they do (so do ask questions and raise points as it gives you brownie points but beware of asking questions that they struggle to answer). Stop being walking management books i.e. throwing management buzz words and quotes every now and then and then claiming that you and the firm embody such characteristics when after awhile you will realise that they don't- it will be good to have mentors/managers who speak from experience rather than those who just give us textbook answers to everything.