Campbell Soup

www.campbellsoup.com

Can't complain. Solid company, good pay.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Camden, NJ
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camden, NJ

Pros

competitive salary, friendly colleagues, easy commute from Philadelphia (against traffic!), forward thinking company, stable company, flexible, reasonable. Also, my department was very trustworthy. They allow you to work from home when you want/need to. As long as your work gets completed, they're not concerned about where you work. That's very important to me.

Cons

Some senior executives, while nice, are very behind the times.

Working in Camden isn't exactly idea, but the company has done the best it can with a bad situation. The city is really lousy, but Campbells has really made the work environment as nice as they can to help make you forget that it's a bit lousy beyond the borders of the office campus.

But still, I'd rather work in Philly where colleagues go out for a drink after work and socialize. That's a big benefit of working in an office that I missed while I worked there.

More attention could be paid to employee moral levels. I know this wasn't the norm, but for a while I was miserable because I worked with someone who was a complete idiot. I mean, mind blowing stupid. But the company invested too much money to get them to the company to acknowledge they messed up, so the moral for the rest of the department dropped dramatically. There was very little I could do about it though. Anonymous peer reviews would have been wonderful.

Also, the reviews that are meant for employees to rate their managers is a bit silly. It's a god idea, but especially for small departments it doesn't work well. I know of a past manager (who has since left the company) who pressured their employees to give them top marks on those reviews.

Other reviews for Campbell Soup

Campbell's Technologist

Current Employee - Technologist  in  Camden, NJ
    Current Employee - Technologist in Camden, NJ

Pros

Great work/life balance. Newly created building looks great. Great location close to Philly. Team environment creates atmosphere for cross-functional sharing.

Cons

A lot of meetings create a lot of grind. Decisions are made through consensus, not single authority. People don't stay in roles more than 2 -3 years.

Would like to see more risk-taking from management. Need to be leaders in markets, instead of fast-followers.

OK but not Great

Current Employee - Current Employee  in  Camden, NJ
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Camden, NJ

Pros

Iconic brand insulated from peaks and valleys of some industries. Produce good products that you won't have to be ashamed of. New Campbell's Center is a good start to updating an aging campus. Very "nice" culture (whether it's genuine or not, everyone is nice to each other). Can have a long career here (low turnover). Good work/life balance. Flexible work schedule (for some).

Cons

Benefits are ok, but not great. Not sure what others are looking at, but it's not the fine print. 401k match is $0.60 per dollar up to a 5% contribution which is 3% max. The way they word it makes it sound like you can max out your match at 5%, but that's not the case. There is no stock purchase plan. Pay is in the ballpark with other companies in the area for similar roles. People don't come to Campbell's because of pay alone. Incentives (bonuses and raises) in my opinion are weaker than competitors except at extremely high levels of management. Campbell's has a flexible work schedule policy and for some it's a terrific benefit. For others, managers actively discourage it. It's just hit or miss depending on direct management. As another commenter mentioned, Campbell's does not lead the way in the industry, they strive to react quickly. It rarely feels like new ideas are being implemented. Just cost cutting projects and anything reactive to a competitor that's taking business away. Some of this may have to do with the diversity within the company. There is a lot of veteran management (meaning they've been with the company for a long time). Management is also elitist. It is very clear to everyone what level you are (even down to the size of your cube/office and number of tables and chairs you have). Lastly, Gallup. I agree with the other commenter about Gallup. It does not feel like it is used effectively. If your group scores too low, it impacts your review which means most people inflate the scores to keep management off their back and meet their targets for their reviews. However, other disgruntled employees may drive your score down creating more work to improve scores and resulting in a failure to meet your Gallup objective.

Lead the industry. Stop reacting to the successes of competitors. Campbell Soup is a major player in their segments and should be the ones at the forefront, not just maintaining the status quo. Seek out leaders and creative thinkers to hire, not just more of the same. Encourage a more egalitarian culture (which will be difficult with some of the tenure of some of the management). Keep Gallup off of reviews if you want honest feedback.

There are newer employer reviews for Campbell Soup.

Worked for Campbell Soup? Contribute to the Community!