There are newer employer reviews for Canada Revenue Agency

Beware if you are a Student

I have been working at Canada Revenue Agency

Pros

good pay, good hours, etc. all the reasons for working in the Government

Cons

If you are a student and need time off to take an exam or to study even if you fill in all the forms the payroll system doesn't catch any changes from your 'regular' hours so you will get a bill from the CRA once you stop working there. Senior management has known about this problem and won't fix it. So beware of the CRA if you are a student. Save your money because you will probably have to pay something back if you took any time off to write exams or to study. They won't fix this problem. They just stick their heads in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist.

Fix your problems with your payroll systems. It isn't fair to students who get dinged for a problem of overpayment which they have know way of knowing exists, but you certainly know of this problem.

75 Other Employee Reviews for Canada Revenue Agency (View Most Recent)

Great Place To Work!

Former Employee - Call Centre Representative - Collections in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canada Revenue Agency

Pros

Salary is about 1 1/2 times what private sector will pay (29k Private vs. 43k Public), great benefits, management will help you during family emergencies, pension is awesome

Cons

I didn't really have any. If I had to gripe, I'd complain about the parking situation and the fact we have to PAY for parking; but on that salary I can afford it.

Continue to focus on career advancement with your teams and this will keep monotony due to the work (Collections) from creeping in. Keep being supportive on your team members as it certainly kept me motivated to great call reviews.

Great work life balance!

Former Employee - Human Resources Advisor in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Advisor in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canada Revenue Agency

Pros

-fair compensation structure
    -less bureaucracy than other government departments
    -good work life balance - support leave with income averaging
    -regular performance reviews

Cons

-lack of communication from senior management
    -still too much bureaucracy
    -lack of information sharing within CRA
    -hiring process too lengthy.

Difficult - as CRA is often at the whim and whimsy of the political arm of government - ensure that more stable leadership is in place.

There are newer employer reviews for Canada Revenue Agency