Canada Revenue Agency

www.cra-arc.gc.ca
  www.cra-arc.gc.ca
There are newer employer reviews for Canada Revenue Agency

If you don't care about immediate financial gain and would rather have a pension/retirement next to no other!

Current Employee - Tax Auditor in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
Current Employee - Tax Auditor in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Revenue Agency

Pros

Pension is second to none, can retire at 55 with 60% of your salary minimum for the rest of your life indexed to inflation. Vacation time, benefits are huge. Compressed/flexible work hours are very, very good.

Cons

Competence of senior management is absolutely abysmal. All the red tape of working for the government. Promotion goes to 'pet' employees or visible minorities. White men 30-50 are no longer promoted even if they are the best one for the job. Pay for professionals is significantly below the private industry standards now. Pay however for secretarial and administrative jobs is above the private industry standards still.

Recognize the efforts of your employees more. Senior management really needs to get a clue about what their subordinates are actually doing in their work environment.

79 Other Employee Reviews for Canada Revenue Agency (View Most Recent)

Beware if you are a Student

I have been working at Canada Revenue Agency

Pros

good pay, good hours, etc. all the reasons for working in the Government

Cons

If you are a student and need time off to take an exam or to study even if you fill in all the forms the payroll system doesn't catch any changes from your 'regular' hours so you will get a bill from the CRA once you stop working there. Senior management has known about this problem and won't fix it. So beware of the CRA if you are a student. Save your money because you will probably have to pay something back if you took any time off to write exams or to study. They won't fix this problem. They just stick their heads in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist.

Fix your problems with your payroll systems. It isn't fair to students who get dinged for a problem of overpayment which they have know way of knowing exists, but you certainly know of this problem.

Great Place To Work!

Former Employee - Call Centre Representative - Collections in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Canada Revenue Agency

Pros

Salary is about 1 1/2 times what private sector will pay (29k Private vs. 43k Public), great benefits, management will help you during family emergencies, pension is awesome

Cons

I didn't really have any. If I had to gripe, I'd complain about the parking situation and the fact we have to PAY for parking; but on that salary I can afford it.

Continue to focus on career advancement with your teams and this will keep monotony due to the work (Collections) from creeping in. Keep being supportive on your team members as it certainly kept me motivated to great call reviews.

There are newer employer reviews for Canada Revenue Agency