There are newer employer reviews for Canada Revenue Agency

It was alright learned alot.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Revenue Agency

Pros

Very helpful team who take the time to teach you about tax legislation. The team leader took the time to sit down and do detailed reviews to ensure your growth.

Cons

The work got repetitive once you have been doing it for awhile. As a co-op the training was informal and it was a learn it yourself job.

try to implement a more formal training plan as well as allow more growth and responsibilities for coop students. THis will ensure that co-ops are fully engaged.

75 Other Employee Reviews for Canada Revenue Agency (View Most Recent)

Great employer if you don't need to worry about job security.

Current Employee - Contract Client Services Agent
    Current Employee - Contract Client Services Agent

I have been working at Canada Revenue Agency

Pros

- Great compensation compared to similar jobs in my role and province
    - Team Leaders and Managers support work/life balance with flexible schedules, vacation time that can be used as hours and days not just one week blocks and personal days
    - As a term employee, having a few months between contracts is a nice break
    - If you're ambitious, there are committees, courses and other projects you can get involved in
    - Once you have recent and significant experience, there are many opportunities for career growth
    - The union is pretty good as far as unions go
    - Great benefits once you qualify

Cons

- The environment can be very sterile at times, everyone is always going to be offended about something (a management decision, a union decision, a decoration in a cubicle, a comment made in a meeting etc)
    - It was very hard to get my foot in the door due to the very long selection process (it took me a year, some others took 3 years)
    - They seem to only hire terms, offer very short terms such as <3mo or <6mo so that you are not eligible for many benefits
    - It can take 5 weeks before receiving a full paycheque due to the pay cycle and the 2 week pay backlog
    - Once your contract is over, you are never sure if/when you are going to get recalled

Communicate more and quicker to your staff. Learn to trust your staff. We've passed clearances to work for the CRA, you can trust us enough to let us know if there may be something happening that is going to affect our jobs.

If you don't care about immediate financial gain and would rather have a pension/retirement next to no other!

Current Employee - Tax Auditor in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Tax Auditor in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I have been working at Canada Revenue Agency

Pros

Pension is second to none, can retire at 55 with 60% of your salary minimum for the rest of your life indexed to inflation. Vacation time, benefits are huge. Compressed/flexible work hours are very, very good.

Cons

Competence of senior management is absolutely abysmal. All the red tape of working for the government. Promotion goes to 'pet' employees or visible minorities. White men 30-50 are no longer promoted even if they are the best one for the job. Pay for professionals is significantly below the private industry standards now. Pay however for secretarial and administrative jobs is above the private industry standards still.

Recognize the efforts of your employees more. Senior management really needs to get a clue about what their subordinates are actually doing in their work environment.

There are newer employer reviews for Canada Revenue Agency