CN is good

Current Employee - IT Business Service Desk Analyst in Montreal, QC (Canada)
Current Employee - IT Business Service Desk Analyst in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian National Railway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good benefits!!! Employees are fun to work with (all ages) Good salaries!

Cons

Not enough training Team Leads don't know what employees are doing (job)

Advice to Management

Learn the systems that your employes are supporting!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. mechanical engineering student summer coop

I have been working at Canadian National Railway

Pros

travelled all over eastern region of canada

Cons

not enough feedback from employers

Advice to Management

give employees feed back and recognition for good work

Horrible work/life balance for Trainmasters

Current Employee - Trainmaster
    Current Employee - Trainmaster

I have been working at Canadian National Railway full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay and bonus is great, excellent health benefits, and (most) coworkers are amazing to work with.

Cons

Work/life balance is non-existent in management. Trainmasters are expected to protect conductor holes on days off, no one gets weekends off. If one person doesn't answer their phone on days off, the group gets punished with an even worse work schedule for everyone. Expected to dial into conference calls even on days off which means no going out of cell range (camping, etc) or disciplinary action will occur. Trainmasters are caught in the middle of upper management and the employees who run the trains - they really do try to keep things running smoothly but hands are tied with ridiculous demands. Hiding in bushes and watching employees work comes to mind. The system in place to ensure employees are following rules is being abused. Instead of being used as a learning tool and a way to coach employees, it is being used as a disciplinary tool. There is a culture of fear, and an almost toxic environment due to the frustration of most employees with how things are done. Training programs lack - CN uses something I like to call "Battlefield Training," give them a cell phone, truck and a laptop and let them loose. Those who are incompetent seem to get promoted quite readily, and somehow end up with the great shifts and days off. Those who actually know what they're doing get stuck in one job because upper management won't release them to bigger and better positions.

Advice to Management

Give your Trainmasters a rotating weekend schedule, let us have lives outside of work. I don't mind working weekends, just not every single one. Start paying us our stats like we are entitled to. You're going to start losing a lot of great employees soon if something doesn't change. I know myself and a few more are looking elsewhere - money isn't everything. Your future isn't sticking around, and the ones who are staying are the ones you really don't want to keep. I don't see anyone from within the company lining up for my job. Make it more appealing and promote from within. These former Starbucks and Futureshop managers hired into Trainmaster service are absolutely clueless and scary to have out there. Stop railroading by number!!