There are newer employer reviews for Canadian Natural

Poor experience working at CNRL.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Natural

Pros

- Stock options (provided to full-time employees, but not "everybody" - students and contractors are excluded).
- Fellow employees are quite friendly.

Cons

The reputation of the company as a "sweatshop" is highly warranted. Every day was "go, go, go!" Much, ironically, to the detriment of my own job performance: If you feel that you can stop to think about how to better do your job, you'll often vastly increase your own effective productivity. Alas, I didn't feel free to do this. At least not while working "under" my second supervisor. I felt like a mindless automaton.

Systematic "spin" was used at CNRL. For example, at quarterly meetings, it was repeatedly mentioned by Steve Laut (and others) that there were no layoffs at CNRL. However, when you have as many contractors as that company, and you don't renew their contracts, that is essentially the same thing. When a third of the floor empties, one feels something amiss. Likewise, it was cynical and pathetic to hear uppermost management, make comments about CNRL charitable donations ($300 000 here or there). When the company has revenues of 10 billion, this is comparable to me donating a couple of pennies to charity (10 billion is 30 000 times the size of 300 000). Speaking of which, when, during these quarterly meetings, one realizes that the combined wealth of the CEO and Chairman exceeds the combined net worth of every one of the 3000 or so employees in the room, I can't help but feel a little nauseous. After all, I'm making them more money!

Did I mention CNRL is an oil company?

There are a couple of reasons (in a nutshell) why this is an issue.
First, CNRL is heavily invested in the Alberta TAR sands (take that! PC speech). This is an issue because creating oil from the tar sands is the most energetically expensive method of extracting oil -and therefore creates the most CO2 emissions per barrel extracted. Yes, it may be possible to capture and store CO2 underground, but if the costs of this storage were added on to the costs of the oil, it would be inviable: oil from the tar sands costs more to extract, per barrel than any other source (save some exotic locations). So, for carbon capture to work, society will need to foot at least part of the bill. Why should it, when other alternative forms of energy, if researched adequately, may have many times less emissions?

And yes, for all those climate change deniers out there, CO2 emissions matter. (I think of such denial as comparable to Holocaust denial - the difference is that global warming may contribute to the fate of 6 billion, instead of 6 million). As an aside, it was interesting to hear many of my fellow employees (despite now-widespread acceptance of global warming) deny climate change. Is not helping to create such a phenomenon, whilst denying its creation piling perversity on immorality? Committing evil a second time?

Enough of my ranting.

For these and other reasons, I do not recommend this company as an employer.

If you made it to the end of this, I thank you for your time.

I have nothing to say to you, except to say: I have nothing to say to you. [[[filler to meet twenty words]]]

52 Other Employee Reviews for Canadian Natural (View Most Recent)

Some challenges, but on the right track.

Current Employee - Joint Venture Accountant in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Joint Venture Accountant in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Canadian Natural

Pros

Canadian Natural has an excellent compensation package, and decent corporate culture. It's not the best, and it's not the worst. The savings plan is excellent - they match 150% of employee contributions. The stock is the healthiest in the industry, so when you get stock options (and everyone does) it's worth quite a bit. The opportunities for advancement are totally there if you're willing to work and have a good attitude. They also provide bottled water which is awesome.

Cons

CNR has a low cost corporate culture which pervades all aspects of working there. So no frills in office decor or supplies. They are not at the lead when it comes to time off for employees, many competitors do way better with flex days, Friday's off, and much more generous vacation packages. All this contributes to stress and burnout. The workload is quite high - part of keeping costs down and staff turnover can be high because of that. There is a lack of communication in the corporate culture with employees often feeling out of the loop and a huge grapevine. They lack implementing technology quickly due to costs. (software, extra monitors)

Don't treat your employees like retards. Encourage true communication and trust. Quit working people to death and admit that even WITH the flex days and vacations Encana performs just as well. Inspire people to work harder and smarter by encouraging home grown solutions to dept. problems and challenges. All employees have good ideas on streamlining their environment and being more productive. When a department pulls a feat beyond the call of duty - allow them to reap the benefits. i.e. when payables recoups over a million dollars in 'found money' perhaps allocate a portion as a bonus for the dept. I can guarantee they will recover two million next year.

Very fun and welcoming company.

Former Employee - Engineering Student in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Engineering Student in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Canadian Natural as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is very fun and welcoming. Team is always there to help with anything and make you feel part of the company.

Cons

Being a summer student, there was not enough projects for me to complete so I had a fair amount of time sitting at a desk with nothing to do.

There are newer employer reviews for Canadian Natural