Canal Insurance

Horrible

Former Employee - Underwriter
Former Employee - Underwriter

I worked at Canal Insurance

Pros

Benefits, time off, some of the people.

Cons

Promoting the wrong people. Kissing A?? is all you need to do to get ahead. Poor treatment of team. Management gossips behind employees back. Bad Place to work

Hire Managers who know what they are doing. Does it really matter if someone worked at the company for more than five years. The managers that have had several complaints against them should be fired not the people that report to them. You are selecting the wrong people to favor. Reputation is not what is was regardless of what you are hearing. Horrible company to work for. Not like the days when the family ran it. They actually cared about the right people.

32 Other Employee Reviews for Canal Insurance (View Most Recent)

Steady through the Storm

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Canal Insurance

Pros

Great coworkers, direct management and benefits. I enjoy my job and line of work. I feel like there are poor managers and employees in some places, but largely things are going well.

Cons

This is a tough industry, but there is a persistence for success. There's been some management changes; some planned and some unplanned. That can be discouraging. Also, at times, their can be a ton of workplace gossip. It can get toxic.

I'm confident in the future of Canal and we're setting up for success. Transparency and authenticity will win your employee's trust. Sometimes call a spade a spade. But, when there is a disparity between what employees see and hear from you; it destroys your credibility. You can't tell us everything, but I'd look at this. If there's no trust then there's no relationship. Goals met or not; people will follow those they trust to the ends of the earth.

Feel like I am part of the band on the Titanic.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Canal Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I truly enjoy the people I work closely with, they are like extended family members. The gym and the on-site doctor's office where you can get free prescription refills is an awesome perk.

Cons

There are a handful of managers who are great with recognition; unfortunately, that isn't the majority of the management team. The overall feeling of the staff is one of being unappreciated and there's a sense of insecurity about the company's future. I feel underpaid. Most of us work 3-4 hours extra a day to keep up with the increasing responsibilities, since we are salaried employees there is no extra compensation. Long term loyal employees are overlooked for promotions within the company. Very little faith among employees (including department managers) in the company leadership.

Put people in charge of making decisions who understand the process which they are making the decision about. Since the managers weren't promoted from within, they don't understand the workflow processes so they often make decisions which have implications that make the process more cumbersome. Be consistent with decisions and communication. Do a better job of acknowledging and compensating employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Canal Insurance