Cancer Treatment Centers of America
www.cancercenter.com Schaumburg, IL

Very well managed, great patient experience, but not a good place for career growth

Public Relations Manager (Current Employee)
Zion, IL

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCulture "it's only about the patient" is a real phenomenon. Patients are constantly amazed at the level of detail CTCA has gone to in order to create an exceptional patient experience. Stakeholders are empowered to care for the patient needs on the spot or find someone who can. The company is very lean and has a single-minded purpose to satisfy the patient, therefore ensuring through that philosophy that patient satisfaction scores are incredibly high and the profit matches those levels.

ConsThe two lowest scores on the stakeholder satisfaction surveys over the last decade have consistently been 1. Stakeholders are afraid to speak up for fear of retribution. 2. There is little opportunity for career growth at CTCA.
I have found both of these phenomena to be real. In addition, salaries are lower than the market place will bear, and certainly lower than CTCA's profit margin will bear. Make the right deal coming into the job, candidates, because your plight may never change.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is easy. If your two lowest scores on employee satisfaction surveys are consistent over a decade, your problem is not the perception of something happening. Top management listen up, it actually is happening. The fact that the lowest scores have not been fixed with that much empirical data says that these problems, in the minds of top leadership, are not real problems. After all, CTCA is making a pile of money that keeps increasing in margin every year, how can the complaints really be that bad?

Two quick fixes.
1. Stop telling staff there is a "perception" of retribution and own it. Stop retaliating against people who believe in a culture of continuous improvement instead of reveling in a culture of perfection and swift judgement.
2. End the Management Fellows program by which a college graduate has an all-access pass to top leadership for two years then gets a newly created management job in which they have no experience managing people with actual experience.

Both of these issues support that CTCA leadership follows the "do whatever your manager says without question" (actual quote from a top manager) philosophy.

Nice Place to Visit, but Wouldn't Want to Work There

Clinical Analyst (Current Employee)
Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: They do a phenomenal job caring for the patients. … Cons: The corporate culture is extremely different. If you like to be micro-managed then this is the place for you. This outdated practice emanates… Advice to Senior Management: You should consider treating your employees with at least a fraction of the respect that you have for… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Best Place to Work…NOT

IT Manager (Former Employee)
Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Cancer Treatment Centers of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Good salaries and bonuses. No need to think because… Cons: I have never seen so many egomaniacs in one place. Everyone there thinks they are the smartest person in the room, but don’t have… Advice to Senior Management: Get over yourself. If you were really that intelligent… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Cancer Treatment Centers of America.

Worked for Cancer Treatment Centers of America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cancer Treatment Centers of America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cancer Treatment Centers of America CEO Stephen B. Bonner. All reviews posted anonymously by Cancer Treatment Centers of America employees.