There are newer employer reviews for Canfor

Only job in town

Former Employee - Planning Forester  in  Prince George, BC (Canada)
Former Employee - Planning Forester in Prince George, BC (Canada)

I worked at Canfor

Pros

The only job in town for foresters, close to home, some good people, salaries are competitive.

Cons

low-cost corporate culture, intense competition for positions, expected to be on-call all the time, hire a specific type of personell that obeys orders and follows procedures, not honest about career paths and possibilities, string part-time employees along with the promise of full-time positions.

Create a real team atmosphere instead of condescending to junior and intermediate employees.

8 Other Employee Reviews for Canfor (View Most Recent)

Canfor a good place to work for a while

Current Employee - Lumber Grader  in  Fort Saint John, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Lumber Grader in Fort Saint John, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Canfor

Pros

You get to work in a relatively warm environment with new technologies in the sawmilling realm. The first jobs you get are menial, dirty and back breaking, usually on a night shift which are hell on your body and mind, eventually you can begin to tolerate it. The light at the end of the tunnel is bidding off cleanup and getting on the line where you can make good coin. Normal operations you get 1 hr OT a day or 10 per check which adds up real fast. Boring but rewarding work when you break a production record. Also most of the managers are pretty good guys and are flexible.

Cons

Personally the shift work is the best and worst thing about working at Canfor. Some guys love working the afternoon shift so they can run around in the morning and get stuff done around town, banking, shopping, minding the kids while the wife is at work. Most however just tolerate it and look at the paycheck. The changing from nightshift to dayshift every 2 weeks takes a toll on your body and sleep is sometimes at a premium, especially in the summer when you're trying to sleep through the hottest part of the day. Also missing evenings for me when I want to go out with my buddies or play in my sports leagues.

Right now the lumber industry is in the doldrums and I am just happy to be in mill where our financial standing is better than a lot of other mills. If I was to suggest something to Senior Management it is that more communication about or present financials be filtered down to the hourly workers and let us know further in advance of any layoffs or shutdowns so people can prepare themselves and plan their lives accordingly.

Great company.

Former Employee - Supervisor Level  in  Prince George, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Supervisor Level in Prince George, BC (Canada)

I worked at Canfor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There is unlimited opportunity. CFP is well positioned to capitalize on the lumber super cycle on the horizon.

Cons

Advancement requires a lot of years and is less focused on merit. The AB oil sands have really hurt trade competitiveness.

Keep it up.

There are newer employer reviews for Canfor

Worked for Canfor? Contribute to the Community!