There are newer employer reviews for Canfor

Canfor a good place to work for a while

Current Employee - Lumber Grader in Fort Saint John, BC (Canada)
Current Employee - Lumber Grader in Fort Saint John, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Canfor

Pros

You get to work in a relatively warm environment with new technologies in the sawmilling realm. The first jobs you get are menial, dirty and back breaking, usually on a night shift which are hell on your body and mind, eventually you can begin to tolerate it. The light at the end of the tunnel is bidding off cleanup and getting on the line where you can make good coin. Normal operations you get 1 hr OT a day or 10 per check which adds up real fast. Boring but rewarding work when you break a production record. Also most of the managers are pretty good guys and are flexible.

Cons

Personally the shift work is the best and worst thing about working at Canfor. Some guys love working the afternoon shift so they can run around in the morning and get stuff done around town, banking, shopping, minding the kids while the wife is at work. Most however just tolerate it and look at the paycheck. The changing from nightshift to dayshift every 2 weeks takes a toll on your body and sleep is sometimes at a premium, especially in the summer when you're trying to sleep through the hottest part of the day. Also missing evenings for me when I want to go out with my buddies or play in my sports leagues.

Advice to Management

Right now the lumber industry is in the doldrums and I am just happy to be in mill where our financial standing is better than a lot of other mills. If I was to suggest something to Senior Management it is that more communication about or present financials be filtered down to the hourly workers and let us know further in advance of any layoffs or shutdowns so people can prepare themselves and plan their lives accordingly.

reviews filtered by
  1. I have worked for the CANFOR pulp mill maintenance turnarounds since 2011.

Current Employee - Temp Labourer in Prince George, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Temp Labourer in Prince George, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Canfor

Pros

I always look forward to working at the CANFOR pulp mill maintenance turnarounds. I enjoy working with my co-workers, and supervisors. I am always eager on learning from working different jobs threw out the CANFOR pulp mill maintenance turnarounds. Safe working environment. I hope very much to be employed for CANFOR full time. CANFOR is where I want to have my career. Janice S.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons

Advice to Management

Thank you for a friendly safe working environment.

2. Great learning experience

Former Employee - Engineering Intern
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern

I worked at Canfor

Pros

- Amazing HR department: very friendly and helpful
    - People are willing to listen to you and your project proposals

Cons

- Locations of the mills might not be that great for a lot of the city people
    - The noise can be hard to get used to at first

There are newer employer reviews for Canfor