Canfor

www.canfor.com

Canfor a good place to work for a while

Lumber Grader (Current Employee) Fort Saint John, BC (Canada)

ProsYou get to work in a relatively warm environment with new technologies in the sawmilling realm. The first jobs you get are menial, dirty and back breaking, usually on a night shift which are hell on your body and mind, eventually you can begin to tolerate it. The light at the end of the tunnel is bidding off cleanup and getting on the line where you can make good coin. Normal operations you get 1 hr OT a day or 10 per check which adds up real fast. Boring but rewarding work when you break a production record. Also most of the managers are pretty good guys and are flexible.

ConsPersonally the shift work is the best and worst thing about working at Canfor. Some guys love working the afternoon shift so they can run around in the morning and get stuff done around town, banking, shopping, minding the kids while the wife is at work. Most however just tolerate it and look at the paycheck. The changing from nightshift to dayshift every 2 weeks takes a toll on your body and sleep is sometimes at a premium, especially in the summer when you're trying to sleep through the hottest part of the day. Also missing evenings for me when I want to go out with my buddies or play in my sports leagues.

Advice to Senior ManagementRight now the lumber industry is in the doldrums and I am just happy to be in mill where our financial standing is better than a lot of other mills. If I was to suggest something to Senior Management it is that more communication about or present financials be filtered down to the hourly workers and let us know further in advance of any layoffs or shutdowns so people can prepare themselves and plan their lives accordingly.

trades supervisor

Trades Supervisor (Former Employee) Prince George, BC (Canada)

I worked at Canfor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: rewarding and challenging and stable employment Cons: trouble calls at night/weekends with no pay Advice to Senior Management: respect the trades people Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

great pay, above average benefits

Millwright (Current Employee) Mackenzie, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Canfor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: great pay, above average benefits Cons: intimidation in the workplace, lots of bullies, not much appreciation… Advice to Senior Management: Promote people experienced in managing people, do not discriminate against people… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Canfor.

Worked for Canfor? Contribute to the Community!