Canon USA

www.usa.canon.com

Learning but not coached

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Lake Success, NY
Current Employee - Sales Representative in Lake Success, NY

Pros

- Nice people with decent brand recognition.
- Good cafeteria with Japanese food and sushi bar.
- Middle managers try hard to change traditional thinking.

Cons

The technology is falling behind with commodity technologies such as printers and cameras. The Medical division is barely breathing. They have zero interest in innovation and leap frog technology development. HR is a joke and I feel like we are stuck in the 50's with our "old school" thinking. We don't know how to spell "recruiting" since HR doesn't comprehend the difference between hiring and recruiting. Low, low, low glass ceiling for non-Japanese. Low pay and no career path.

Paradigm shift in HR is required. Tons of opportunities for improvement.

Other reviews for Canon USA

Other than "looks good on your resume", this place won't do anything for you...

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist  in  Lake Success, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Lake Success, NY

Pros

The company is solid and people are impressed when they see Canon USA on your resume. New building looks like it will be nice. Benefits are decent.

Cons

Little room for advancement, poor management, very low pay scale, Japanese control everything and enjoy much higher pay, bad corporate culture. This is just a bad place to work if you are motivated. You are expected to be happy where you are and happy with your low salary. If you say anything you are told to look for a job in the city and that the salaries are on par for Long Island (which they are not!) They scare everyone into being fearful of losing their jobs by laying off groups of people due to "restructuring" (some 20+ year veterans) whenever they feel like it. If you're in the market for a new job keep searching for a better company!

Stop holding your employees back because you are afraid of losing your own jobs.

It was a learning experience.

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant  in  Lake Success, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Lake Success, NY

Pros

It feels good to work at a well-known company. Canon is a very popular brand and people automatically assume you're in pretty good position if you tell them you work at Canon.

Most of the senior managers are pretty competent and easy-going. My senior manager was very good. She was a good listener and very open to the ideas of her employees.

Cons

I had a poor middle manager. That was the main reason for my leaving the company. My middle manager was very inconsistent and seemed to worry most about her own job appraisal more than anything else.

A lot of the people there also did not know anything about cameras or photography, which was kind of surprising. I guess that doesn't matter if they are good at their job.

The senior management is also comprised of 99% Japanese or Caucasian males, meaning the corporate culture is kind of stuck in the 1950s.

Don't let people who can't manage become managers. Don't be so conservative or you will eventually fall behind. Most of all, don't dismiss the ideas of your employees just because you have more experience or authority.

There are newer employer reviews for Canon USA.

Worked for Canon USA? Contribute to the Community!