There are newer employer reviews for Capcom Vancouver

Good place to learn what not to do

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at Capcom Vancouver

Pros

Nice people. Fun projects. People are passionate about what they do. Good benefits. Owners are very approachable and easy to talk to.

Cons

- Overall quality of work is very poor. At least from a developers standpoint. 10k lines of code for a player. Come on hasn't anyone there heard of design patterns, object oriented development. Just abysmal design. Its a wonder they can final games.
- Design decisions all over the map. Once month the game is X then next month game is Y. Then you wonder why things take so long.
- Work life balance is not very good.
- Terrible pay. They look for junior staff and underpay them. They keep pay low even after you excel and can demonstrate senior capabilities.

Pay people what they are worth.

reviews filtered by

Artist

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great games
    Great, experienced talent in studio
    Making changes to improve transparency
    Everyone is trying to make the studio a better place
    Huge recent improvements in the engine and tools that are making a difference
    Great benefits
    Competitive salaries

Cons

Could be more nimble.
    Approval process is slow.
    Some people are good at pointing out problems, not as good with coming up with solutions. Creates negativity around some pretty simple things that can be solved.

Keep improving the studio and the way we work. You are starting to change things for the good but we are far from where we need to be. I really want to see this studio be the best in the city. There is no reason why we can't be!

A great place to work for the motivated

Current Employee - Software Engineer III
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III

I have been working at Capcom Vancouver full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Interesting & challenging problems. Tech is improving rapidly and individual engineers can (and do) make a big impact on the engine.
    - Opportunity to work in any area of the code base, few barriers for those that are motivated to dive into the code.
    - Opportunity to contribute to design, even as an engineer. Good ideas can come from anyone and this is recognized.
    - Above average development iteration times (build time, etc.) Build turn-around time is a major priority for the studio.
    - Friendly and relaxed work environment, board game, sports & other clubs.
    - In-house "pub", beers on Fridays.
    - While other reviews here complain about the management, I find it no worse than at EA or other games studios. If you are competent and complete your work then management will stay out of your way and let you get the job done.

Cons

- Career advancement (i.e. the "Job family matrix") isn't handled as transparently as it should be.
    - Studio is currently (Jan. 2015) undergoing a transition and the change, like any, is presenting challenges to scheduling & planning.
    - Software approval process is painful and patronizing
    - Can't work from home over VPN

- Relax restrictions on third-party software testing & experimentation (e.g. if I want to do some tests with LLVM I shouldn't need to open a ticket).
    - Allow employees to work from home.

There are newer employer reviews for Capcom Vancouver