Capgemini

www.capgemini.com

1960 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

CC NA: Ineffective leadership + unclear position in market = few projects sold + stunted career development

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsGood initial base comp. They recruit high-caliber students from top-25-30 MBA programs so lots of bright & talented people (who end up working on menial projects). Good benefits, decent 401(K) plan (although matching isn't quite as good as other companies where I've worked).

ConsYour success here is based completely on where you land and which projects you end up on. If you end up in a city with good leadership, get noticed, and get staffed on a high-profile project with said leaders, then you're pretty much set - you've got yourself a clear path to Manager. If you don't, then you're pretty much screwed and have to get lucky.

There's a dearth of interesting projects. Many projects sold are very IT-focused yet they staff MBA-level management/strategy consultants on them with no interest or background in IT. But because of relatively small firm scale (~200 consultants) and how few projects are sold, you have little say in what projects you actually get to work on.

Severe lack of training opportunities. Every year, about 20 consultants in North America (<10% out of the 200+) get plucked to go to Les Fontaines, France for some annual training thing. The rest of us have some outdated online training modules to go through.

Your success at the firm and ability to get on projects is predicated entirely on networking and getting in the good graces of certain leaders, not about your skills or the quality of your work.

Company has shifted direction 5 or 6 times in the roughly 3 years that I've been with the firm and they still don't have a clear GTM strategy, which has hurt the firm's management consulting brand. Still known nationwide primarily as an IT firm.

Incentive comp is pitiful and is predicated on factors mostly outside your control (utilization is 60% of your annual KPI, so if you're not staffed, you're pretty much screwed). Offered a far-below-market signing bonus.

This firm has lost a lot of good, bright people, who've found greener pastures elsewhere. Almost everybody I know at Capgemini intends to leave as soon as they get the chance. I personally am just biding my time until I can get something better. I strongly recommend that people joining this firm reconsider their decision.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clear on your direction and what type of firm you are during the recruiting process. If you try to go after top MBA's by passing yourself off as a management consulting firm yet you staff consultants on IT and other process-oriented projects, you're going to have a lot of dissatisfied people. I feel I was sold a bag of goods when I joined the firm about the type of work I would be doing - my expectations were severely misaligned with reality. Sadly, I ended up doing the same in following years as part of the recruiting teams. Also set realistic expectations for comp growth - not giving raises and decent bonuses is a sure way to lose good people.

Disappointment through and through - big promises, big disappointments

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Capgemini full-time for more than a year

Pros: - Big name clients - Good pay for starters Cons: - Training for college hires doesn't represent open needs - university recruitment is totally mismanaged - No choice in roles/projects - limited number of projects to… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Excellent company where management listens.

Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

I have been working at Capgemini full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Immediate managers listen to people. Cons: Work Quality needs some improvement. Advice to Senior Management: Don't just think of short term profits, think about long… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Capgemini.

Worked for Capgemini? Contribute to the Community!