Typical of a large organisation

Former Employee - Solutions Architect  in  Bedford, England (UK)
Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Bedford, England (UK)

I worked at Capita full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Staff benefits include healthcare, pension, share schemes, childcare vouchers. When the standardised HR processes work, they work well. Capita buys a lot of businesses, which keeps the HR team quite busy.

Cons

Occasional insane edicts are passed down from group IT and group HR. This is probably typical of a large organisation facing the problem of a sprawling mass of semi-autonomous businesses under a single umbrella.

Relentless focus on monthly and yearly targets grinds down the average employee. It also tacitly encourages sociopathic behaviour in middle management, rewarding short-term economies rather than healthy investment for the future. I assume this works as a business strategy, but it takes a human toll.

Other Reviews for Capita

Not the best in BPO culture

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Mumbai (India)

I worked at Capita full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Salary, Flexible work environment (to some extent), good infrastructure, good clients,

Cons

Bureaucracy, Micro management by supervisors, lack of decision making authority, not tuned to the best BPO culture/style of working, lack of career planning for managers & above

You could trust your people a little more and also invest some time & efforts in their career development. Give them more freedom to make the decisions. They make mistakes but that's what you could guide them to do better the next time.

Could be better

Current Employee - Case Handler  in  Chester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Case Handler in Chester, England (UK)

I have been working at Capita as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The size and scale of the business means that future job opportunities are more likely than with a smaller firm.

Cons

Considering that Capita is the Uk's largest outsourcing company, it is worrying that over half of the 140 staff taken on for my current project were either paid incorrectly, or not paid at all, in the first month. Capita manages other organisations' payroll and pensions functions but seemingly cannot manage a relatively small-scale payroll run in-house. Also, as an employee who has managed a bout of depression brought on by work related stress, I am concerned that there is no Employee Assistance Provider in place, to help employees when they are struggling (as I did). Capita is by no means the worst company to work for; however, for a company of it's size, I would expect more robust procedures to be in place.

Have a more robust approach to employee assistance. Ensure that payroll is set up to manage the "on boarding" process for new contractors.

There are newer employer reviews for Capita.

Worked for Capita? Contribute to the Community!