There are newer employer reviews for Capital Group

It Depends on What Business Group You Land In

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Capital Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great retirement plan (FYI - you're not fully vested until 6 years)
- Great healthcare
- Nice offices with amenities (at least if you work in a building w/investment group offices)
- Stability - you're not likely to suddenly lose your job
- Good comp with multiple bonuses / incentives throughout the year
- Big company - possible to move around, sort of. I quit, but *was* offered a position in another business group.
- Civil office culture - yelling & open disrespect aren't tolerated
- Good coworkers - some really lovely people work there.

If you're looking for a stable corporate job where you punch a clock and don't need to think independently, it's probably a good fit for you.

Cons

- Employee satisfaction varies dramatically depending on business group and manager.
- Not a meritocracy - most places aren't entirely, of course, but it seems especially true at Capital.
- Growth is often not possible because most associates are overburdened with volume of tasks.
- Intelligence and honesty are not valued. Being able to play the game is.

They promote and emphasize growth in theory, but in practice advancement is a result of politicking and interpersonal strategy. Get in good with the boss = get your workload reduced + get handed opportunities for exposure. I saw this happen at all levels, from senior management all the way down to admin assistants.

Also - globally speaking - they're going through some big changes, so it may be a little extra bumpy for a while.

Look closely at concentrated turnover in a department - really, it IS you, it ISN'T all about the departing associates.

350 Other Employee Reviews for Capital Group (View Most Recent)

Good Pay, Poor Advancement, No Leadership

Current Employee - IT Group  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - IT Group in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pay is good. bonus occurs 2x a year

Cons

Bonuses are considered part of your "base". The bonuses continue to diminish dramatically year over year (net result is lowered overall pay). Company struggles with direction. Annual reviews are performed in the round, by a gathering of managers you don't come in contact with or have little to due with your assignments and how well you perform them..

Associates should be reviewed based on the work assigned, not on a job description. You can't hold an associate hostage based on a job description that you assign to them rather than the work you give them to do! Mangers best know what is assigned and how the associates performed against the assignment, not a gathering the manager's peers... Use some common sense!

Being a contractor sucks big time at CG.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Capital Group as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

GSD employees were helpful. Cafe was good.

Cons

Being a contractor assigned to TSD sucks. That group has a negative atmosphere. The managers show favoritism and politics is rampant.. I personally had a bad encounter with a lady associate due to horse play. There is also an employee there who threatened me at work. Luckily, I did not call the Irvine PD. My contracting company did nothing about it.. Every contractor I know hates CG. All I hear is negative. The people who have been there for years are content enough to get the job done. I don't see any real leaders there in TSD group. The 2 associates who are close to the managers are the perpetrators of negativity. Trust me, this is from direct feedback from previous contractors. There is a feeling of being ostracized. There is what I call a "caste" system.

Stop the bad practice of favoritism or who you know. Treat contractors as equal as associates. A perfect example is Edwards Lifesciences where there is no distinction between associates and contractors.

There are newer employer reviews for Capital Group

Worked for Capital Group? Contribute to the Community!