Capital Group

www.thecapitalgroup.com
  www.thecapitalgroup.com
There are newer employer reviews for Capital Group

Yes, change is difficult. Lets be honest.

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Irvine, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Overall compensation is top notch. Company direction is like an aircraft carrier making a 180, turning it takes time. Management is better than you think when you look closely. A place for you to grow if you want to, and are willing to push yourself, and I mean really go out on a limb and stop being comfortable. Executive leadership is excellent, and transparent. Management committee communicates frequently.

Cons

CG is changing, and at a wild pace. It's not the change that is really difficult, it's the pace of change. Frankly, some talent has already left voluntarily, and more is likely to follow. But, and there is a big BUT here ... so please read on. The current economic climate and business climate is rough. Assets under management are being pressured, and client mandates lost to competitors. I often find myself saying to fellow associates, "What would you do if you were an owner?" I think sometimes associates forget that we are a privately held business. That means we are in business to do something specific. If you make lemonade and order a big truckload of lemons only to find that 2/3rds are rotten after you've unloaded it, then you can't make any money. I think there is a small bit of entitlement culture at play as well. Some Senior Management would benefit from a shake up too. It's not that most management is out to get anyone, or is intentionally destructive, I don't believe that, rather, some people just are not capable of handling the reins when the 'stuff'
 hits the fan. It's like the reviewers here cannot stop and take a breath, and be objective. If you got up in the morning and went to your job at the local tire shop, are you going to gripe about every lugnut that gets stuck today? Come on people, perspective. Change is tough. Times change. Business cycles sometimes demand rapid change, and that can be painful. This is survival for CG. Yea, outsourcing sometimes sucks too. But as a long term employee myself, the fact is that it is better for the bottom line for remedial work to be sent offshore instead of paying a high internal wage. This fact is, outsourcing is to the benefit of every single associate, as we are indeed a stakeholder in overall profitability of the company, and our company 'owners' are the most generous folks around, like our founders and their family. They share with the entire associate base, a massive amount of compensation that they could keep all to themselves, but instead, they see the value of the shared sacrifice / shared reward model. Don't forget this, ever, it is a powerful mindset, and can allow you to share in the success of CG too when you being to start thinking like an owner. Look, all the change amounts to tough times internally, and a bit of shaken morale. If you're seeking employment at CG, yes, do your homework. But be able to see the big picture too, not every associate or manager is jaded. Most people I work with work hard, take their job seriously, are true professionals, have total respect for their managers and above, and even know how to have a good time. So now, go re-read the 'Pros'.

Forcefully rotate Senior Managers and Directors in ITG. Some areas are ineffective at that level. Define true leadership. Don't talk, do. Shake up specific areas where you know you have issues. If your not sure, ask the line staff via surveys and ask them to report their LOB. Most folks are begging to be heard. Win the mind share of those really high performers you know that you want to keep and stay focused on the long term vision. Guide us to the end of the tunnel, most of us want to join you for the ride.

378 Other Employee Reviews for Capital Group (View Most Recent)

From Great to Horrible

Current Employee - Investment Group Compliance Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Investment Group Compliance Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, nice amenities, good work/life balance in the Investment Group, 2 bonuses. A calm work place.

Cons

Management here is generally really bad (across most departments). The company culture here used to be great but is declining rapidly. It used to be a joy to come to work, now it's a pain and many people are just collecting a paycheck. There has been an increase in an overall sense of dissatisfaction in the last few years. It's hard to move up unless you have been here for a really long time and are in good with Senior Management. There is not a lot of rhyme or reason around promotions here, lots of decisions are shrouded in secrecy. Additionally, managers are well aware of the bleak employment opportunities out there these days and have taken a "take it or leave it" attitude toward employee dissatisfaction. I would recommend working here to someone who needs a paycheck and is not concerned with sharpening skills or moving up. You can easily sail through a 20 year career here not putting forth much effort.

Choose managers carefully with emphasis based on if they can (and want to) actually manage people (not just next in line for a promotion). Poor manager placings have been the downfall of many departments here (a reason for very high turnover) including mine. There is a strong sense of an "Us vs Them" attitude between managers and employees.

First job out of college, a taste of cubicle life.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Irvine, CA

I worked at Capital Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, great people, great attitude.

Cons

Low upward mobility, strict and stiff rules, not exciting.

There are newer employer reviews for Capital Group