Capital One

Typical Bank

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at Capital One

Pros

People are great to work with.

Cons

Compensation isn't the best. Not the most organized company.

Large company, management isn't aware of a lot of things that are going on. Don't necessarily pay attention to detail.

1767 Other Employee Reviews for Capital One (View Most Recent)

I would rather work at Mcdonalds

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Capital One

Pros

I liked some of the people i worked with. If you are a "politician" you will go far. It's high school

Cons

Where to start. They make you work long hours with skeleton crews and no support, the back office has NO IDEA what they're doing

Get someone in there that knows what they're doing. Maybe get it together before you demand results on things you don't even know.

An eye-opening experiencing to how a different company operates

Current Employee - Senior Associate, Digital in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate, Digital in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Capital One

Pros

Amazing employee benefits and resources. Well-communicated agenda and ambitious outlook that is infectious.

Cons

A very process-bloated organization. An elaborate network of people/processes/initiatives that they think 'ensures' high quality results (speaking from the Digital side). Being a (primarily) credit-card oriented company, the work pipeline is looked at from a capacity/operational perspective and cannot be tied directly to revenue. I come from an IT/Software vendor where work was done right the first time, and FAST - because it was tied directly to revenue.

The meeting culture here is bizarre. My previous company had a high ratio of remote workers, so we EFFECTIVELY used email and stuck to conference calls to get decisions moving. Here, half the people in my meetings aren't paying attention and busy instant messaging about something else. The meetings end up with little to no headway and always include the words, "it sounds like we need to have more conversations about...". I'm not exaggerating. The worst part is that these people can't be in my meetings because they're double booked in someone else's. All the while, mine was TRULY more important to the organization than the one they attended. So, two meetings are shot while one of them could've been dealt with via email in a smart manner. Every time I craft comprehensive well-written emails, people want to set up a meeting to discuss because they don't want to take the time to read it and think it through. These are all smart people working here. They are all brainwashed into this ADD pace of perpetual confusion.

Your biggest problems can be solved by the most mundane and simple things. Communication. It takes a top-down change in the culture. Ironically, instant messaging is hurting your company. Half-baked decisions without the right people are happening through IM. I've done it - I've seen it. The saddest thing of all, is that it's done in an IM conversation during someone else's meeting; so two decisions are being jeopardized. This should be simple: Email = decisions based on information provided; Phone call = What-if and longer trade-off talks. In-person meetings steal time away from you with the physical movement between rooms/buildings .

If you want your 'speed to delivery' dream to become a reality, stick to basics and make SOMETHING happen. I have, personally, watched the most important initiatives get side-tracked because of territorial infighting and ego-driven pride.

There are newer employer reviews for Capital One