Capital One

www.capitalone.com
There are newer employer reviews for Capital One

Excellent place to start a career

Current Employee - Manager, Operations Analysis in Richmond, VA
Current Employee - Manager, Operations Analysis in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Capital One

Pros

As my first job out of undergrad, I've found COF to be an excellent place to start a career. As soon as you're able to show some ability, you're given a sizable area of ownership and influence. Its not uncommon to folks six-months with the company to regularly be presenting to Sr Manager +. Another benefit it lack of heavy-handed top-down management. I have the feeling that leadership sets the direction and the associates are free to determine the most effective way to reach our goals.

Cons

Really this is driven by the macro-environment, but I question the long-term sustainability of our company. As a result of what looks to be a mid-term peak in credit & credit cards, increased regulation, and a looming recession, we will be forced to cut back on some of the things that have made the company great; total compensation, innovations, and fast growth

We need to make some bold moves if we want to be an end-game player in the diversified financial services industry. We completely lack some of the competencies to be a relationship/experience-driven bank. Credit cards have become a commodity - we need to set a clear vision of what we want to be when we 'grow up' and that vision cannot be 'be everything to everyone'. We need a clear and differentiated brand identity that supports our vision.

1702 Other Employee Reviews for Capital One (View Most Recent)

Too much red tape in evaluations

Current Employee - Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Capital One

Pros

Capital One has a pretty good vacation benefit. The work from home is specially a good reason to work at Capital One. The company also allows flexible work hours. This is specially beneficial for those of us who have a lot of other responsibilities. As the company continues to expand into other financial areas, it makes the job more stabilizing. The pay package for a small town like Richmond is better than the average salary. Opportunity to learn new things exist for those who can play the politics. An average severance package, should you be unlucky to get retrenched. Big player in a small town.

Cons

Too much politics in the workplace

If the Manager is clueless of how the subordinate does his/her job, that manager is not in the right place and will frustrate his/her subordinates.

Great advancement opportunities, but competitive culture can cause headaches.

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Plano, TX

I have been working at Capital One

Pros

Flexible work arrangements provide flexibility for parents. Other than health care (expensive) the benefits package is pretty good. Has nice plusses like paid maternity/paternity leave and generous 401k matching. There is generally a lot of focus on associate development and training. Great place to be if you are still fairly early into your career as advancement opportunities seem to be concentrated at the lower levels (below director).

Cons

Competitive culture, and in some cases fragile egos. Depending on job level, performance bonuses may comprise a good portion of the employees total yearly compensation. Some (but certainly not all) departments measure individual performance in such a way as to create resistance to any change in the status quo. In these scenarios, employees become more obsessed with protecting their compensation rather than advancing the business. These types will do anything to avoid being associated with weaknesses in the business, which prevents weaknesses from being improved. Compensation follows preset distributions, so performance ratings and promotions may or may not be reflective of an individual’s actual contributions depending upon how many people the department has.

Be as open and honest with the employees as possible. Transparency leads to less anxiety among the associates on any number of topics.

There are newer employer reviews for Capital One