There are newer employer reviews for Capital One

Work is great, pay sucks

Current Employee - Relationship Banker II in Silver Spring, MD
Current Employee - Relationship Banker II in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Capital One (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very professional and profitable company. 401k contributions are excellent.

Cons

Base salary for existing employees are never reviewed or bump up to meet market price.

Salaries should be reviewed at least once a year with a increase of more than 3%

1580 Other Employee Reviews for Capital One (View Most Recent)

Teller role at Capital One was unnecessarily stressful

Former Employee - Teller in Kensington, MD
    Former Employee - Teller in Kensington, MD

I worked at Capital One part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Worked on a great team
    -Company benefits (stock purchase plan) are great
    -Training at beginning makes you feel valuable

Cons

-Too much pressure to sell accounts as a teller
    -Tough transition from Chevy Chase Bank to Capital One left many angry customers
    -Schedules were poorly done, caused a lot of stress (could easily be fixed)

-Learn better time management skills for employee scheduling

Worst company I have ever worked for.

Former Employee - Relationship Banker in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Relationship Banker in New York, NY

I worked at Capital One full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are excellent and most managers will work to accommodate your schedule. I have heard of horror stories with other managers telling part-timers that if they didn't drop out of school and go full time, they would be "let go."

Cons

They treat you like a dog. They figure that since they pay you your salary they can abuse you in any way, shape or form. They stress building a book of business and following up with your pipeline contacts but all of that is thrown in the garbage when they force you to jump around branches last minute and miss scheduled customer appointments you have setup. Then they ask you why you're having trouble meeting your numbers.
    There is very slow growth within the company. Management doesn't want to promote employees if they're already doing well in their current positions since it's hard to find quality bankers. At the same time if you're not doing well you can forget about working the ranks.
    The district manager ignores exaggerated and inflated daily branch results just to make herself look better. The DM's also ignore the fact that there are many managers who discriminate against customers. I've worked with some racist managers who would purposely give a hard time to certain ethnic groups for no apparent reason and when I would step in and say it's not right what they're doing, I got the cold shoulder and they would give me a hard time from that point on. I wouldn't be surprised if the ACLU investigates them in the near future.
    You can be as loyal as you want to this company but you will never see the opposite. Employees get laid-off without just cause and the turnover rates are ridiculously high.
    These are just a few of the cons i've experienced working at Capital One.

Understand who your employees are by their strengths and not just job their titles. The biggest mistake you could have made was to fire the ABM's and keep all of the managers. Many of the latter don't belong in those positions, they're old fashioned and you can forget about company growth.

There are newer employer reviews for Capital One