There are newer employer reviews for Capital One

Flexible work space. Lots of opportunities with training and volunteering. Company is willing to develop talents.

Current Employee - Data Steward in Plano, TX
Current Employee - Data Steward in Plano, TX

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Company has flexible work schedule
- Dress code is not as rigid as other companies
- Potential for year-end bonus
- Has some great people- most people are genuine and fun

Cons

- Instances of undeserving promotions
- Need to play some workplace politics
- Might need to know how to treat some people differently if you want to advance quick
- Flexible schedule really depends on your managers; if your manager is more traditional, you are out of luck.

Advice to Management

Contractors are also very important to the success of our company. I think contractors should be treated by associates more like associates than hires. Contractors' opinions should be taken into account during mid-year review and year-end review to prevent undeserving promotions.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Benefits for pt not as great as other banks.

Current Employee - Teller in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Teller in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Capital One part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back environment, great of managers like you

Cons

If employed ft benefits are great, but of you hired as pt don't expect as much. A lot favoritism, if management doesn't like you, don't expect I stick around for long.

I have felt de-valued and diminished as a professional most days. It's nothing more than a paycheck.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in McLean, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health, dental, and vision plans. Stock purchase plan. In-office gyms in Richmond and McLean. Pay is average. Company is young and can channel a lot of energy.

Cons

I am neither a stupid nor inexperienced professional, but nearly everyday that I have worked here, I have been spoken to like I am. My experience has been insulted, and my attempts to draw upon past experiences and accumulated skills to enhance project work has been de-valued and discouraged.

Management has a filter on with regards to divergent opinions, and devotes lots of talk to analytical thinking, problem solving, hanging out shingles, professional development and transparency but takes actions frequently inconsistent with those values. There is an awful lot of talk, but little if any follow through. Lots of arrogance that would put Wall Street to shame about how innovative, smart, analytical, and high-performance they are.

Opportunities are defined by how well your manager likes you and how well he/she advocates for you in the performance management process with the ultimate decision-maker (the process itself is wildly imconsistent and laughable). They will describe your performance with poorly defined qualitative stories and personal anecdotes then try to "benchmark" them against a quantitative scoring systems that creates the appearance of rigor and objectivity in the rankings. Creativity in thinking, business judgement, and results matter far less than your personal style and desire to take-on extraneous responsibilities unrelated to the business.

People managers are generally young and poorly-seasoned at managing people and work. They fundamentally do not understand the role of a manager in another professional's development, in managing work effectively, and taking responsibility for their own failures as managers. Professionals are more like line workers here than knowledge workers. You will be asked to do things your manager just doesn't want to do, he/she will act as if the work is beneath them, and your manager will not take responsibility when they make an error.

Overall, I would say the value proposition for working at Capital One is not particularly distinctive or defensibly different from any of the other large banks.

Advice to Management

Re-examine the value proposition of working at Capital One. If a professional experiences what I have, then the organization, its values, or its execution are fundamentally flawed.