They acquired HSBC bank and the next day they announced layoffs for the Salinas ca site...

Current Employee - Operations Coordinator  in  Salinas, CA
Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Salinas, CA

I have been working at Capital One full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Growth Within
-Great bonuses
-Pay for education
-Health Benefits/401k

Cons

-They will lie if they need to get rid of you.
-Goals are set so high that majority of associates cant meet them.

Pay more attention to your employees and don't step on their toes to make yourself look good.

Other Reviews for Capital One

Has gotten too bureaucratic and too collaborative in recent years

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Plano, TX

I have been working at Capital One full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work environment and perks. Good benefits and pay. Genuinely "nice" company culture. Decisions are backed up by data rather than just being the "highest paid person's opinion."

Cons

The culture has swung toward being too collaborative and committees and group meetings are way overused now. When I started, you could come up with a good idea, run it by two levels of management and then at least get it tested on a small group of customers. Now I have to go to my manager, all of his peers, several other department's managers, a steering committee, (at least) two "project prioritization" groups because none of them alone are allowed to sign off on anything. Implementing good ideas can take 6-18 months over all.

And the "cross calibration" system the company uses to hand out promotions and bonuses has completely devolved into a political bargaining exercise between managers.

Streamline, streamline, streamline. Deputize more people (even just the mid-level executives!) to make decisions. And fix the politics of cross calibration.

Both sides of the spectrum

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay (not great)
    Great work/life balance
    Great technology
    Great flexibility (work from home option)

Cons

I have noticed that most of the leadership started as colleg hires or are from India (brought over by friends) and have only worked at COF. This makes it very difficult for them to understand how things are done outside of Capital One in the U.S. I believe this is a definitive weakness, as diversity is not only ethnicity, but based on work experiences as well...

Focus on talented individuals both inside and outside your organization. Also, focus on the talent within the United States of America. COF has a large population of leaders that are not from the U.S.

There are newer employer reviews for Capital One.

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!