Capital One

www.capitalone.com
There are newer employer reviews for Capital One

Solid, slow-moving company that cares about its employees

Current Employee - Project Manager in Richmond, VA
Current Employee - Project Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Good salary. Good facilities and getting better. Smart, sociable co-workers.

Cons

In such a large company, things take forever to get done. Often it felt like my work wasn't having any impact or even getting to the customers; it seemed like it was getting entangled in bureaucracy. When I had an idea, often the response would be "Good luck getting that through legal/brand/etc"

1702 Other Employee Reviews for Capital One (View Most Recent)

My experience art Capital One.

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at Capital One as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Best company I have worked for since 1984. They care about their employees.

Cons

Allways changing the project management process without consulting the project managers. Many best practices are now optional.

Project Management is not a continious project, but a continious review. Don't change it for sake of change, Don't change it when if their are no complaints from users (PM).

One of the best places I have worked at!

Current Employee - Tech Lead/IT Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Tech Lead/IT Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Capital One full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits - 7.5% match on 401K (on base and bonus), 1K match on FSA, Discounted stock purchase program.
    Flexibility, open work space, Wi-Fi at work lets you work from anywhere you want in and around the building.
    Really smart intelligent colleagues who make it a great place to work. You are always challenged and motivated for that reason.
    The company is always doing the right thing for the employees/associates. (eg: they pay bonuses even when they didn't make much money or had layoffs and doesn't make that an excuse for cutting down on benefits).
    With the acquisitions of ING Direct and HSBC Cards, growing even more and unlike most other financial companies is well managed and growing, but very carefully with a bright future ahead.
    One of the rare places where I have seen things work the way they are supposed to and if not, you could find a way to work to get that changed.

Cons

The performance management system is good overall, but the forced ranking system can be painful. Not sure what can be a better option here, but good to think about it.
    Lots of type A people which can sometimes be annoying.
    Good individual contributors get promoted to people managers which sometimes leads to lack of focus on coaching/mentoring, but rather the people managers just trying to continue to be good individual contributors at their new level.

You are doing a great job overall, but please find a way to fix the performance management system.

There are newer employer reviews for Capital One