Capital One NA Houston Texas

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cultural diversity, good work life balance

Cons

No complaints - a good fit.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Capital One 360 in Wilmington, DE is not what they like to pretend it to be!

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Managers that remain from ING Direct
    -What little bit of culture remains from before Capital One came in
    -Workspace is nice
    -Free parking (for now, but I hear this will change soon)

Cons

Capital One has taken what was a really great company with an even greater culture and, in one year, have completely ruined it. I'm all for change and was looking forward to Capital One coming in and making an already great company even greater. Instead, it has become an environment where everyone is out for themselves and the general concensus is to always cover your own a$$, usually by throwing someone else under the bus. It's political and full of cliques and if you're not willing to play the games, you are tortured until it is not worth staying anymore. I was with ING Direct for many years and would never have left if it wasn't for the change in culture and the desire of my manager to get ahead at the cost of her team. Where I used to be proud to tell people where I worked, I became ashamed and would NEVER suggest that anyone leave a good company to come and work at Capital One 360. Its a shame, but they are very quickly losing good people. Now other companies are benefiting from their mistakes! Do NOT do business with this company or go to work there. I assure you, you will not be happy.

Cons:
    - benefit costs are very high
    - cut-throat environment
    - CYA culture
    - very, very political with a lot of red tape
    - very meeting focused (meetings for the sake of meeting)
    - if you are not a drinker, this is not the company for you; drinking is encouraged at MOST events

Advice to Management

Upper Management really needs to focus on culture once again. What was great about this company before Capital One came in was that people worked together instead of against each other. You are losing a lot of quality employees and the bleeding isn't going to stop any time soon.

Overworked, underpaid, good people are often pushed out, incredibly low pay

Former Employee - Teller Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Teller Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There were a few excellent people that I worked with on the branch and district level, and the research and adjustments department were always amazing to me.

Cons

Made 15,000 a year less than the low end of the spectrum for my position on glass door. Was illegally denied overtime pay due to a combination of company policy and poor management. Was harassed repeatedly by manager with little actual recourse to HR. Common course of business was to significantly understaff branches and then fire staff "for cause" for failing to meet sales and audit goals in the time allotted.

Advice to Management

Adequate staff levels should always be maintained, workers should have the ability to request help for problematic interactions with branch managers, and wages and salaries should be commensurate with other major banks.