There are newer employer reviews for Capital One

A good place to work at

Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at Capital One for over 3 years now and have enjoyed working here. It's a pretty good place with smart people, great work life balance, good compensation, great benefits and flexibility in work location.

Cons

One of the best things about capital one has always been the bottom up innovation in the strategy setting and product development. However, the recent spate of acquisitions has added a lot of beaurocracy and moat of the work being done is driven by senior management with the ground level employees simply finding ways to do what they are asked to do. Also, the performance appraisal process needs more transparency. The way it works today, its a popularity contest. If people above you like you, you get to be on the high profile projects and get promoted as a result of that. The others just get stuck in a viscious cycle of getting the same vague feedback again and again.

Have more transparency on the agenda setting and also give the analysts more freedom to innovate. Get rid of the antiquated performance management system and introduce something which would be more fair and will reward great work and is not a popularity contest

reviews filtered by

A great two years out of college

Current Employee - Senior Operations Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Analyst in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to start working out of college. There are a lot of young people around to meet and network with, everyone I've worked with has been collegial and willing to help me learn. New analysts get to work on real business problems right away and can get heard right away if they prove themselves. There is also a real emphasis on work/life balance and senior management seems to really mean it. Nice benefits package too.

Cons

Capital One has hired a lot of very smart people, which sometimes means that things are way more complicated than they should be. Recent acquisitions means that some parts of the company feel more disjointed than others. There is constant turnover as people rotate around to different teams- good if you like change but it sometimes can be overwhelming plus you lose institutional knowledge.

Take care to preserve the Capital One culture.

Relationship Banker

Current Employee - Personal Banker in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Tons of education and training

Cons

Low Salary for all the hats and daily changes

Stick to something to see it through....appreciate your employees and less care of the NUMBERS and REPORTS...we are people...without us, your day to day won't run....

There are newer employer reviews for Capital One