Good work culture

Current Employee - Project Manager
Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice campus. People focus. Lot's of team building activities. Flexible schedule.

Cons

. Very busy environment. Lots of meeting.

Advice to Management

Limit area of focus.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Overall working at Capital One has been a great experience

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Capital One offers great benefits, including non traditional benefits outside of dental/medical categories. They have a gym with personal trainers (for a small fee), a doctor's office for you and your family, a post office, and a bank all on site (at least at two of the corporate locations that I have visited). Capital One is open to flexible work arrangements. Some groups are more flexible than others, but there is a general push towards ensuring that everyone feels that they have a good level of flexibility in the workplace. I have been lucky enough to benefit from this, as I am allowed to work from home some days ( i do it at least once a week!). This is one of the reasons that Capital One has been consistently ranked as a top workplace for working mothers. In general I feel that Capital One hires great people. Most people that I have encountered are intelligent, driven, collaborative people. Most of them are friendly as well, which makes coming to work a lot easier!

Cons

I have noticed that there is a tendency in the culture to want to meet about everything. This is good from a collaborative point of view, but it seems to me that some meetings are scheduled "just to be had." This eats up time to actually do the work- there is a lot of talking but not a lot of actual process! Some groups have a tendency to over-complicate. Some groups seem to expect a high level of multitasking ability, which is proven to be an inefficient way to work.

Advice to Management

Focus on keeping things simple- I feel that there is a tendency to over-complicate. Also, I think it is important for associates at all levels to take a step back from their work and ask themselves "How is this adding value? To whom or what is this adding value? Could this be done more efficiently?" as I have felt like many of the items I have been tasked with were not worthwhile (and overtime were proven as such as the report or project got scrapped).

2. Great company

Former Employee - Unit Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Unit Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent company that invest in their employee development. Numerous development opportunities, in the form of courses and/or on the job growth. They are on the aggressive in their expansion of the business, as well as nimble in the market place. They are extremely innovative as well. The number one pro of working with the company was the growth opportunities and development. Benefits, 401k, and stock purchase is also very strong.

Cons

Although the growth opportunities are great, it takes an substantial amount of time to move upward. There is a lot of politics that are played and a lot of red tape in order to get projects or initiatives across the line. Also, very high demand - in order to be a top performer you must manage a team as well as manage initiatives. The work life balance is not ideal...Merit increases and bonuses are also not that great.

Advice to Management

Start moving your talent upward at a faster pace.