Good work culture

Current Employee - Project Manager
Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice campus. People focus. Lot's of team building activities. Flexible schedule.

Cons

. Very busy environment. Lots of meeting.

Advice to Management

Limit area of focus.

reviews filtered by

Overall working at Capital One has been a great experience

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Capital One offers great benefits, including non traditional benefits outside of dental/medical categories. They have a gym with personal trainers (for a small fee), a doctor's office for you and your family, a post office, and a bank all on site (at least at two of the corporate locations that I have visited).

Capital One is open to flexible work arrangements. Some groups are more flexible than others, but there is a general push towards ensuring that everyone feels that they have a good level of flexibility in the workplace. I have been lucky enough to benefit from this, as I am allowed to work from home some days ( i do it at least once a week!). This is one of the reasons that Capital One has been consistently ranked as a top workplace for working mothers.

In general I feel that Capital One hires great people. Most people that I have encountered are intelligent, driven, collaborative people. Most of them are friendly as well, which makes coming to work a lot easier!

Cons

I have noticed that there is a tendency in the culture to want to meet about everything. This is good from a collaborative point of view, but it seems to me that some meetings are scheduled "just to be had." This eats up time to actually do the work- there is a lot of talking but not a lot of actual process! Some groups have a tendency to over-complicate. Some groups seem to expect a high level of multitasking ability, which is proven to be an inefficient way to work.

Advice to Management

Focus on keeping things simple- I feel that there is a tendency to over-complicate. Also, I think it is important for associates at all levels to take a step back from their work and ask themselves "How is this adding value? To whom or what is this adding value? Could this be done more efficiently?" as I have felt like many of the items I have been tasked with were not worthwhile (and overtime were proven as such as the report or project got scrapped).

Fast-paced work for Corporate Finance role, lots of opportunities across a variety of job families.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good entry pay
    Accessibility to executives- horizontal status structure
    Variety of opportunities across many job areas- treasury, reporting, specialty areas
    Given a lot of responsibility very quickly

Cons

Personal work-life balance isn't great- others in the program have better balance however
    Limited locations (largely just Richmond, McLean) but expanding to other locations

Advice to Management

Faster decision making- less socialization on certain things would reduce waste time and improve employee satisfaction