There are newer employer reviews for Capital One

Shark tank not for the mild mannered

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Richmond, VA
Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Richmond, VA

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was driven to endure the politics and backstabbing because opportunities existed in a company this large. I was recognized as a performer, given crazy bonuses on a regular basis, along with five promotions in five years.

Cons

The company claims to be family friendly. Not true. Was written up for attending a family funeral (a 1 day event), nearly fired (for absence) when my only child was hospitalized for 13 days in the PICU. I had time off coming and had already planned to be off around that time. It was right around Christmas. I shared lots of picts of my child in the PICU and got a doctor's summary, but my boss did not offer FMLA. I should've known better. Was given a major opportunity for a process improvement. Created it, did the testing, wrote it all up and the process and credit was stolen right after I was walked out the door. Heard my then manager took credit for my work. This was typical. Was given no reason for my release and told HR would share details. Called HR and got Costa Rica and the Philippines. They knew nothing and had nothing to share. Since told ineligible to return, but it was too shady. Did not enjoy seeing colleagues regularly have breakdowns on the job or carried out on gurneys. Note the list of those who died on the job in all the lobbies by the elevators.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people in the trenches from time to time. Many in management don't know their systems and rely heavily upon their own teams to perform without leadership. I sat on a team without a leader for four months. We had no staff meetings, no guidance and no team time.

Other Employee Reviews for Capital One