There are newer employer reviews for Capital One

Awesome place to grow your career, especially for newbies

Current Employee - Principal Data Analyst in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Principal Data Analyst in McLean, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are surrounded by amazing people, and the energy is infectious. You can came a long way very quickly as a new hire, especially because of the Analyst Development Program trainings and networking opportunities.

There is a formal review process, so if you are good, you can move up quickly. I increased my salary by 50% in 2.5 years due to generous raises and fast promotions. Capital One is a feedback culture, so you can always learn how to improve. You can tell your boss candid ways for him to improve as well (and he actually acts upon it).

Every day is different. You can keep pushing yourself to learn more, and it's relatively easy to change roles if you find something more aligned with your interests.

The CEO makes it a point to talk to the entire company once a year, even though it requires him renting out huge theaters all across the country and spending several days repeating the same speech. Capital One also has the most ethical practices in the credit-card industry (i.e., we don't want to make money by tricking people into fees), and they are always pushing to get better.

Cons

Job roles can be siloed. Data analysts can code without knowing the business context, and business analyst can try to do their jobs without having a grasp of coding. That said, if you are motivated, you can switch between teams / job roles here easily, or expand on your current responsibilities.

You will work with many people from the HSBC acquisition who aren't the same caliber of talent / motivation

If you live in Northern Virginia, you are sometimes the only person in your office working on a project with 10 people from Richmond. Get used to the phone and / or the company shuttle.

Advice to Management

Keep embracing the "Change Banking for Good" mission. It definitely makes sense when we can waive fees, etc., in certain situations for a better customer experience.

reviews filtered by
  1. I had a very good experience working at Capital One

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The montly bonuses were very good,

Cons

They laid off many talented workers from California . It was hard to advance with this company.

2. Great Work Environment.

I have been working at Capital One full-time

Pros

Good to work if you have a great team to spend your time in the branches

Cons

not really anything wrong. you get what you should expect