There are newer employer reviews for Capital One

Great Work Environment.

I have been working at Capital One full-time

Pros

Good to work if you have a great team to spend your time in the branches

Cons

not really anything wrong. you get what you should expect

reviews filtered by

Information Security Coordinator

Former Contractor - Project Coordinator in Richmond, VA
    Former Contractor - Project Coordinator in Richmond, VA

I worked at Capital One as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Lovely campus with cafeterias, nice facilities, and occasional activities. Paid well.

Cons

Doesn't actually care about their employees. There is a lot of empty buzzwords and talk about core values but it's mainly cheer leading to try and get people to do more for less money. My department placed a lot of pressure on people to work unpaid overtime when they increased the work load but did not approve overtime. As well, there was a lot of pressure for people to not take their time off.

If you are going to try and run a sweatshop environment just be honest about it.

Live in DC metro, Get paid like you live in Birmingham, AL

Current Employee - Manager - Capital Markets in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Manager - Capital Markets in McLean, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company has some very smart people and has upgraded finance talent over the last few years.

Cons

If you work in capital markets / risk you will not be compensated appropriately. You would be better off looking for jobs in the South or Midwest - the pay is the same. The company's high turnover in these roles is driven by poor / inexperienced management (in some cases), poor compensation, and poor work / life balance (in many cases driven by lack of or undeveloped processes).

Turnover is extremely costly to both the firm and the people who stay. A serious look needs to be taken at managers who's teams experience such significant turnover.

And, seriously fix the compensation. We should be competitive on a cost of living basis (HR take note of this). There is reason we can't attract talent that has relevant capital markets experience - all of our replacements learn on the job placing additional burden on those around them.

There are newer employer reviews for Capital One