Mixed Messages

Current Employee - Marketing in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Marketing in Washington, DC

I have been working at Capital One full-time

Pros

Talented, dedicated, competitive people who are selected for the power of their ideas. The people that excel there are truly deserving and every day I realize how exceptional the people that work here are.

Cons

the super-competitive people that Capital One hire are graded on how well they cooperate with others, then put into a super-competitive 360 review/forced ranking process that amplifies small errors.

Advice to Management

Embrace diversity of approaches and be concerned more with outcomes than process.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

My experience was not great

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, the West Creek campus was nice and had lots of amenities and the customer experience is important.

Cons

Titles are vague. There are Process Managers that have zero process experience, the mobile aspect of the campus is frustrating since there's a lack of seating available and org charts aren't available for the LOB's.

Advice to Management

Empower the associates. I found working as a project manager extremely frustrating. I accepted the position because of the claim to be "innovative". The dept I worked for didn't know the definition of the word. Each new idea I raised was met with "that's not how we do it here". Title positions properly. A project manager manages one or several projects. Most of the project managers where I worked were project coordinators. Process managers manage processes, not call centers. There were several "process managers" that had never worked with process improvement, but were titled as such due to lack of clear roles and titles. The company values presented during the hiring process were not upheld. People managers are replaced FAR too often. I had 3 managers in 13 months. None of them worked with me and they were too busy to truly care about my work. Stop working during meetings! The amount of work completed during a meeting would greatly increase if people paid attention during the meeting. The "mobile" environment was very difficult. There was a lack of seating, conference rooms with working phones and parking. How about an "associate experience"???

I wish there was more opportunity for advancement.

I have been working at Capital One

Pros

Somewhat flexible schedules and their 401k for part-timers is a plus

Cons

Takes ridiculously long to move up the ladder or get recognized for success

Advice to Management

None