Capital One

www.capitalone.com
There are newer employer reviews for Capital One

Great company, but highly competitive.

Current Employee - Principal Product Manager in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Principal Product Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of work life flexibility, benefits are amazing, very supportive of volunteering and supporting the community. Lots of support of moving around within the company.

Cons

Performance review process can lead to ineffective measurement of associates. Associates are ranked against peers on a bell curve, so it's beneficial to a peer to provide negative feedback on others to increase their positivity. Company prides themselves on hiring the best talent. However, that means that you have a ton of smart, strong skilled individuals all competing for promotions (average promotion time is 5-6 years per level).

Not all individuals in management positions value mentoring and growing their associates. Company could benefit from looking at who really loves the idea of growing people and helping them shine. Save the promotions without direct reports to strong performers.

1694 Other Employee Reviews for Capital One (View Most Recent)

Good place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work-life balance - I work 9:30-5:00. Good healthcare benefits and compensation. I also find the work interesting. I get opportunities to work on cool high tech things like Hadoop.

Cons

I dislike that people are rated on a bell curve and some people must always get a bad rating, even if they are doing fine.

Get rid of the forced distribution bell curve for performance appraisals.

Capital One was great company to work for and provided many opportunities to further ones self.

I worked at Capital One as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Culture, great community involvement. Senior management made themselves know and provided many opportunities for branch and corporate employees to network. As for leadership, they maintained a well oiled machine and followed company policy down to the T while maintaing a more then comfortable work environment.

Cons

Too many compliance certifications. There were at least one every other week and the content was very asinine.

There are newer employer reviews for Capital One