There are newer employer reviews for Capital One

Good benefits and opportunity advance ments

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Laurel, MD
Former Employee - Bank Teller in Laurel, MD

I worked at Capital One full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Over all good atmosphere, the referrals where easy, only 13 per month in my region. I easily doubled that, they provide great hands on training for two weeks and pay for the drive time. I worked with the company for one year, I would have loved to stay with them longer but i moved states and there was no Capital One I could transfer to.

Cons

They are trying to expand across the United States but there are still mostly a eastern coast bank so if you move often (military spouse) it will be difficult to transfer. They didn't offer a pay difference even though i was hired as a bilingual teller. A times they will micro manage and get very pushy, they will would actually sit next to you, make sure you push products even when those customers dont need them

Advice to Management

The more pushy you get the less quality you will actually get out of your employyess

Other Employee Reviews for Capital One

Lack of recognizing the best talent

Current Employee - Loan Coordinator in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Loan Coordinator in Plano, TX

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location, benefits, salary, distance to home,

Cons

Lack of recognition towards the producers, too much group-think associated with performance reviews as opposed to recognizing individual work-ethic, based on the team-concept too many employees get away with not pulling their weight forcing more work on each individual worker, lack of leadership from upper management or direct management

Advice to Management

Realize the value in individual merit, work-ethic and recognizing it as such. If something is not working, be courageous enough to fix it and listen to your employees over analysts.

Branch Manager

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Technology was good. Worked with amazing colleagues & partners from other departments; many fired or pushed out.

Cons

Job security!. Excessive amounts of people fired and/or placed on corrective action; reason given was for not being able to reach unattainable goals. Poor support from district managers: More interested in promoting themselves & protecting their jobs than supporting their teams. Toxic & negative environment.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to ascertain why there is an excessive & disproportionate turnover in personnel in the bank. Numerous capable people were either squeezed out or fired. Perhaps this is their goal??? Need to address the overall environment; the retail system has become toxic & most everyone is in fear of job security in many departments. Counterproductive to be effective if you are working in such a negative environment. Have associates complete a survey that does not include their employee number so you can really find out what's going on. It was carefully implied to us that survey was not anonymous because we had to submit our employee number & obviously so our district manager would be rated more favorably than deserved. I don't know of one person who answered the surveys honestly.