There are newer employer reviews for Capital One

Potential Opportunity for Contractors

Former Employee - Senior Brand Manager  in  Richmond, VA
Former Employee - Senior Brand Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Capital One as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The culture is great and processes are set up to allow entrepreneurial thought at any level. They are open to working from home (though this has recently been less true for contractors) and many contractors have successfully transitioned to permanent, full-time employees.

Cons

Contractors are not always treated well. There is some legal consideration with making a difference, but some of the behaviors are mean-spirited and unnecessary. I heard a story from one contractor whose manager baked cupcakes and brought them from home, but wouldn't let the contractors have any. This type of childish behavior is more common than you might think.

Consider eliminating the contractor program. Contractors work just as hard as full-time employees, but are treated as second class citizens and take a lot of tribal knowledge with them when they leave after their two-year stints.

1499 Other Employee Reviews for Capital One (View Most Recent)

Thick-skinned and adaptable? If you said no, this isn't the job for you.

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Irving, TX

I have been working at Capital One full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay, great benefits. Never worked at a company with such a flexible time off policy. Managers and HR seem to go out of their way to keep up morale. However, many of my co-workers complain that they feel undervalued as individuals, due to performance-based rewards system.

Cons

The job can be very stressful. Cap1 implements frequent and rapid policy changes and train either too little or too early before change is in effect. Call center bankers don't recieve adequte training for the tasks they are expected to perform; this results in a "tribal knowledge" based environment where you have to learn most of your job on the floor, with real-live customers. THEY are the ones who are impacted- depending on which banker the customer gets, quality and problem-resolution varies greatly. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten "Well, you're the 3rd person I've talked to. Why couldn't the other person do that?"

Spend more time on training. Also, refrain from sacrificing employee's free time to appease shareholders. Just because emphasis on low handle time was reduced, doesn't mean our break time should be!

Master Testing Specialist

Current Employee - Master Testing Specialist
    Current Employee - Master Testing Specialist

I have been working at Capital One full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A bank that has strong IT roots.
    Great People who help each other and great leaders.
    A great place for college graduates to learn and become SOLID in the IT Workforce.
    Always evolving and always changing.
    Management values new opportunities and new ideas through open door policies

Cons

I have no cons for this company, I love it here.

Keep on doing what it is that you do. I love working for this company.

There are newer employer reviews for Capital One

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!