There are newer employer reviews for CarMax

Disappointed, wishing for more opportunity to earn more $$$. Starting Salary to low for entry level management.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Jacksonville, FL
Current Employee - Sales Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CarMax

Pros

Atmosphere is friendly, and fun!

Cons

Hours are long for the level of pay, both for entry level management, and entry level sales.

Advice to Management

If you want to attract the best quality for entry level management, you need to have the starting pay level a little higher. You can't survive off $40,000 a year, and you won't attract the best talent with management experience at that low pay level to start. Great place to work if you can survive the startup pay.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great Place to work, Horrible Pay and Management

Current Employee - President's Club Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - President's Club Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CarMax

Pros

Very family oriented company. I get days that I need off, sick time, vacation and paid holidays. Very easy to "sell" the product to uninformed customers. 40Hours a week at a car sales job! Great environment, everyone is friends.

Cons

Everyone is friends...Special treatment for certain people. You will only succeed if management likes you. empty promises of promotions etc. 5HR maximum work allowed before a break, which just doesn't work in the car business. Pointless,unpaid, mandatory meetings. I make what the low man makes at a traditional dealer and I am one of the top sales. Pay is horrible. One raise since 1999 for CA. Micro Managed 24/7. Customers can return cars and you get absolutely nothing! They consistently call you on your days off, transfer cars get sold when you are not there. All they care about is budget. The average sales person at my store in CA makes an avg of $15/HR.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your sales people as if they are complete morons. Listen to your employees,

2. Poor Compensation, the only Sales Consultants that make a decent living are the ones who run their lives around the job.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Riverside, CA

I worked at CarMax

Pros

Nice people, and some good training

Cons

Micro-managed, poor compensation, poor value.