CarMax

There are newer employer reviews for CarMax

Work Experience

Current Employee - Production Technician
Current Employee - Production Technician

I have been working at CarMax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary, Benefits, opportunities grow, work at your own pace, have fun listen music work on vehicles.

Cons

Management changes constantly, competition between co workers, having your opinion count is hard.

Relax, Time Management, work ethics, over all love what you do.

768 Other Employee Reviews for CarMax (View Most Recent)

Good learning and growth opportunity

I have been working at CarMax

Pros

Good benefits and culture for associates

Cons

Limited growth at higher level

A Company that Only Cares about Themselves...Please Don't Waste Your Time Like I Did

Former Employee - Inventory Associate
    Former Employee - Inventory Associate

I worked at CarMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

May be close to home, may work outside, get to be around cars

Cons

They work with a point system, so even if you have the time to take off for sickness, your points will add up and they will write you up...enough points and you will be let go. Personally I had family problems when I was employed by them...both my parents were very sick and getting old and they could care less. They wouldn't let me off one day when both parents went to hospital on the same day. CarMax is the worse company I have ever worked for...if a company doesn't care about your family then you shouldn't work there.
    2. They have had layoffs in the past...especially Florida...but they wont tell you about it. Seniority did not help, we had no clue how they picked who they laid off.
    3. Never buy a used car from them...you will find out why if you work there for a while. They will give you a slight discount, but its NOT worth it when you see how much they spend on turning cars they buy around to be sold.
    4. You have to wear uniforms (polos, pants, etc) but you have to pay for them. You can only buy from their own site so they get to make a profit.
    5. They will change your job around and switch departments at the drop of a hat. They will give you no explanation. You may bust your butt and try to be happy in the department youre in and the next day you will be washing cars or doing some "other duties as assigned". At least tell me what I did wrong.

Actually start caring about your employees and not just your bottom line. This will greatly improve your turnover. I will do whatever I can to let everybody who will listen know about the REAL CarMax. It was a waste of my time to work there.

There are newer employer reviews for CarMax