CarMax

There are newer employer reviews for CarMax

Carmax from the POV of a part-time BOA

Current Employee - Business Office Associate in Oklahoma City, OK
Current Employee - Business Office Associate in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at CarMax part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-The business office management team at this location is very good. They have found a good balance of working towards professional goals and maintaining a fun atmosphere at work.
 -I would consider myself friends with everyone in the office although I rarely spend time with co-workers outside of the work enviroment.
-I never "dread" work. I always seem to enjoy going to work. The only thing that ever makes a work day unpleasant is high volume of customers accompanied with low staff levels.
-This is a fairly low pressure job

Cons

-There will ALWAYS be drama. Especially when there are a lot of females. Usually I can always find someone talking about someone else.
-Turnover due to low pay and a lot of students coming and going in this job (this location is very close to two Universities)
-inadequate management. Carmax as a whole is expanding rapidly 2011 and beyond and already management is being stretched; it remains to be seen if they can hire, promote, and train the management force needed to nearly double their number of stores over the next five years.

771 Other Employee Reviews for CarMax (View Most Recent)

CarMax -Over-promises during interviews and Under-delivers once hired

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CarMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

AMAZING VALUES!!!
    Awesome Sales Principles!
    Training until stage 3 is great!
    Different experience from most places

I cannot stress enough how amazing it is to work for a company that focuses on behaviors vs. quotas. It definitely has potential to be an amazing job but way too many cons!!!

Cons

Managers except 1-2 of them, micromanage everything.
    Work long hours and get paid very little.
    Don't care about concerns you have.
    Most employees become unfriendly and unwilling to help after you complete training.
    Promise growth but don't back it up
    Way too many consultants working at one time.
    Poor scheduling

Making a flat commission is nice because it provides a better customer experience but its hard to make money if you don't work 50-60hrs + per week.

They're always preaching about taking time away and having a balanced work/personal life but never allow you to take time off.

Help consultants with time off requests more, Express genuine concern for employees, Pay sales consultants a small hourly rate plus commission for all the appraisals and extra work we never get paid for.

Stop micromanaging everything and making us basically read from a script during our customer interactions. Let us do our job naturally and have a more personable interaction with customers

Bleh. A lot of hype, but not as good as it sounds.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at CarMax

Pros

Coworkers are great. You get to work with a lot of great people, and meet lots of great people.
    Closed on Sundays.
    Flexible hours if you are part time.

Cons

Benefits packages keep getting more expensive, copays keep going up.
    Sales managers are incompetent and don't acknowledge or understand the ins and outs of selling cars and simply manage based on BS training structures.

There are often way too many sales people working making it difficult to see an effective amount of customers.

There is always some new type of training you have to do. Every single week!!!

Slow down with the trainings, and get back to the basics.
    Hire managers with car sales experience, and not people who don't know the first thing about car sales.

There are newer employer reviews for CarMax