CarMax

There are newer employer reviews for CarMax

Strategy positions - Excellent career kick-starter

Former Employee - Strategy Analyst in Richmond, VA
Former Employee - Strategy Analyst in Richmond, VA

I worked at CarMax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Ability for Strategy Analysts to interact meaningfully with people at ALL levels of the organization. This was a major plus for me, though some may be intimidated by the quick leap from starting to working with C-level executives.
- Company culture is, in general, very laid back. Some have commented on how this can be a negative, but I took it as a positive.
- Very good work / life balance.
- In general, a very collegial work environment. Sure, there will be a very rotten apples, but they certainly do not spoil the bunch. Analysts (and others) will generally spend time hanging out together outside of work.
- Good facilities. A nice, clean workplace with sufficient access / privacy. Also, onsite softball field, basketball courts, racquetball courts, and gym make it very easy to get in a work out before or after work.
- Great early career move for those looking at top MBA programs - Former Strategy Analysts have gone on to acceptance at most of the country's top schools. Granted, they have had excellent backgrounds and abilities, but I'm sure that their experience at CarMax and relying on that on their applications helped out a great deal as well.

Cons

- Lack of clear career development opportunities - The standard annual review process is typically not very helpful, though it does vary quite a bit from manager to manager and some were very good about providing advice.
- Compensation / benefits - A number of mentioned that the compensation, for the Strategy Analyst roles, is a bit less than it is for similar roles at other companies. While this seems to be true, keep in mind that this is a trade off for the work / life balance and culture of the company. If you aren't comfortable with that trade off and want the max money, this might not be the place for you. That having been said, the benefits could've been better.
- There are some silly issues. For example, HR came out with a teleworking policy, but then promptly said that the company wasn't ready for people to telework when people inquired about it.

755 Other Employee Reviews for CarMax (View Most Recent)

One of the BEST companies I ever had the pleasure to work for!

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at CarMax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great selection of cars for a very diverse customer base. Service department knowledge of vehicles. Technicians very helpful. Employee discounts and first dibs on wholesale vehicles a huge PLUS!

Cons

We should be paid more for every car we sell. The $10 per unit raise, not good enough. The same pay rate since inseption. Inflation is real we should be paid $200-$225 per unit.

Work as hard as sales people do to close a deal.

Could be a great company.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Springfield, IL

I have been working at CarMax full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employment. Good facilities. Many great co-workers and managers.

Cons

Micromanagement from Sales Managers, most of which only know what CarMax told them. They tell you not to pressure customers but then your suppose to call them repeatedly even if they don't want you to. Huh? If they have a computer or software problem, they cannot sell a car. No back up plan, cannot use paper & pen. Many Sales Managers afraid of their own shadow, cannot think outside of the box. Best to BS them, then they are happy. All in all, as they get bigger, they are becoming the typical big corporation and have lost their "fast of their feet" mode of a start up.

None, I don't think you would take any advise.

There are newer employer reviews for CarMax