CarMax
www.carmax.com Richmond, VA 5000+ Employees

Extreme Micro-Management and Favoritism

Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
San Antonio, TX

ProsFriendly, casual work environment. Honest business practices/ethics with regard to customer treatment. Solid sales process allows efficient workflow and minimizes costly error. Training provided is useful for new personnel with no prior sales experience.

ConsExtreme top-down micromanagement focusing on irrelevent and incorrectly compiled performance metrics, over real-world skill and success. Situationally applied disciplinary rules and iconsistant ethics based on favoritism, sexism, ageism, and individuals involved. Store level management is largely inexperienced in car sales, and/or retail in general, therefor incompetant when coaching and assisting experienced sales professionals, handling difficult customer scenarios, dynamically managing personnel head-count to match customer traffic, and generally incapable of performing basic sales/purchase functions required by all subordinate Sales Consultants. Training cirriculum is script-based and elementary at best, geared to creating mindless clerks, not creative, professional, sales consultants. So-called 'open door' policy that guarantees anonymity of employees who file formal complaints against management's violations of company policy and stated code of business conduct is, in reality, completely false and consistantly results in retalliation, including termination. Huge lack of trust between consultants and sales managers, between managers themselves, and between department leaders, creating unnecessary hostility and general stress. Sales Consultants are graded in large part by customer survey statistics that include metrics that are beyond the control of consultants themselves, eg: wait time, pricing comparison, vehicle quality, etc. General Managers and Regional Directors emphasise creating a perception of success, at the expense of actual success, for the sake of the stockholders, whose concerns and interests clearly take priority over those of employees and customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo unto others as you would have others do unto you. Stop lying.

Good experience for sales, but too many scheduled hours and required morning training is unpaid.

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
    Omaha, NE

I have been working at CarMax full-time for less than a year

Pros: The sales consultants at CarMax receive the same commission no matter the price of the car that they sell, so it makes their job a… Cons: The shifts that were scheduled at my particular location were nine hours in length and varied greatly. Shifts ranged from 8:30-5:30, 9-6, 10-8, 11-7, or… Advice to Senior Management: It is imperative for management to make more of an effort to stay staffed with sales consultant. A sales consultant should never be scolded for… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Company has gone from low risk high reward to high risk moderate reward.

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

I have been working at CarMax full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: I have always enjoyed a fun Football locker room type atmosphere. Mainly male associates so during our down time we tend to hang out… Cons: The company has taken a downward turn ever since economy problems in 2008. They have raise prices of vehicles while lowering appraisals. This has… Advice to Senior Management: I may sound bitter but it is because I am. This was once a company that had much promise that I felt good about going… More
There are newer reviews on CarMax.

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CarMax reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CarMax CEO Tom Folliard. All reviews posted anonymously by CarMax employees.