Company has gone from low risk high reward to high risk moderate reward.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Charlotte, NC
Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at CarMax full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have always enjoyed a fun Football locker room type atmosphere. Mainly male associates so during our down time we tend to hang out as opposed to always having something to do all the time. At one time you could also make a decent income without having to work everyday. There are many more freedoms allowed in this position than most of your average " jobs."

Cons

The company has taken a downward turn ever since economy problems in 2008. They have raise prices of vehicles while lowering appraisals. This has created a much tougher sales environment I once felt good about selling a car no haggle, now I feel like I am ripping people off sometimes just because they fail to do research. Corporate has created more and more training initiatives to offset a more expensive and in my opinion a less quality product. The sales management staff is unfortunately relegated to being " yes " men and they feed us whatever info corporate wants out and spin it in a manner to make it seem like a positive when it is usually a new way to have us do more work for less or a new way to save the company money while we make less.

I may sound bitter but it is because I am. This was once a company that had much promise that I felt good about going to each day with my head up and with the potential to make a decent living. Now due to excessive redundant UNPAID training sessions combined with less earnings due to overpricing, I feel sales consultants are taken advantage of an are told " it's retail" as a rational reason for why we have to take all the new initiatives.